The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2004, 06:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Did anyone watch the TV show "ER" last night ?

It was the one with the mad vet who was driving over cars in a stolen Sherman tank. I believe the news footage was from a real
crime sometime ago. Anyway, I am not that familiar with the characters on the show, but there is a heavy-set guy with a crew cut who might be "mentally challenged" on the show. Does anybody know his name on the show and his real name ? I don't see it on the NBC ER site He had a heart attack and while he was being examined suddenly blurted out that he was in the 2/22 Mechanized unit in Vietnam ( my unit ) and specifically mentioned some KIAs on Feb, 12 1967. Did anyone else hear this or am I losing it ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 02-27-2004, 06:54 AM

Larry,
I watch that show every Thursday! His name on the show is Frank. He's an obnoxious old cuss. He's not mentally challenged but his daughter is. And yes he did speak about some of the guys he was in Nam with. Specifically, African Americans. You see Frank (the character) is a bigot and hates virtually everyone on the show...at least that is what he wants them to think. The black doctor/student he was talking to is one of his favorite subjects to attack.
I was VERY moved when he told the doctor that he "was everything that they could have been." What a wonderful compliment for both the doctor and his Viet Nam brothers.

I was too caught up in the emotion of the show to catch the details of the unit and the names. Somehow I think they may have both been real. ER tends to do that...mix just enough fact in with the fiction to make it more believeable.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks much for the info about Frank. I am sure he mentioned the 2/22. Very strange.

Larry
Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The investigation is complete! "Frank" in "ER" is actually Troy Evans, a Charlie Co., Guy. ( Co. C 2/22(M) )

A friend of mine in the Vietnam 2/22(M) Assoc. sent this to me. I don't know his dates of service but I will find out.

Larry
Old 02-29-2004, 02:14 PM

1966 Graduate of Flathead High School in Kalispell, Montana.
Troy Evans served with the 25th Infantry Division (2/22 mechanized) in Vietnam, 1968 and 1969.
Appeared in the pilot episode of David Lynch's bizarre 'Twin Peaks', as the school principal, Principal George Wolchezk, but he doesn't appear in any other episodes.
He appeared in the first episode of ER as a patient.

Birthday: February 16, 1948
Birth Place: Missoula, Montana, USA
Old 03-02-2004, 06:50 AM

See told you..."just enough fact with the fiction".
So he really experienced this. I'm glad they brought this part of his life out in his character. It opens the door for a whole new look at this character and the life of a vet post-Viet Nam. I will be watching to see where take this story, and how they handle this subject.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-02-2004, 07:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Scarletto :

Thanks for the info !! I am going to try to make contact with him and get a signed picture.

Larry

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:14 AM

Don,t think that episode has shown yet this side of the pond, but i will see if i can tape it and get the names he mentioned. At least he Did serve, unlike another actor who had to admit after telling everyone he never did go to vietnam, Brian Dennehy?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks ! That would be outstanding ! I will watch for the rerun as well. Brian Dennehy is a real scum-bag. Even had a Playboy magazine interview where he expounded on what a firefight was like. He got out of the Marines before Vietnam started...It is also amazing that he was the sheriff in the first Rambo movie. Have you read the book "Stolen Valor" ? If not, there are several pages about him in it. Have you published any books ? Are you working on one ? Where do you live in England ? I live in Bartlett, Tennessee, near Memphis.

Larry
Old 03-02-2004, 12:01 PM

No not read stolen valor yet, but ive come across wannabees, actually through researching my book, the amount of green berets and Huey pilots out there, one wannabee green beret told me of his missions, which as i told James, sounded like a paperback fiction story i read years ago!!

Im a manchester lad from up north in England, ex -squaddie. written and had published by a new orleans company!! a book on the south staffs a glider unit at Arnhem 1944.

Working on a book about II Corp Tet 68.

Going back to actors, i was amazed to find eddie albert had fought at Tarawa, not his name at the time, but he was a marine, if i remember he won a medal there. will look out for ER, which will make my misssus wonder whats going on!!!

Talent Agent
Stone Manners Agency
phone: 323-655-1313
fax: 323-655-7676
email: postmaster@stonemanners.com

This is troy evans agent, should be able to get a signed pic from there