The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2003, 09:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The World But Few Know...

...I just spent the night with a former POW...

... a former POW from Vietnam...

..He smiled the whole night, he caught my attention when he said, "I haven't seen one of those for a long time, reflecting upon my POW/MIA bracelet...

...I explained that it was a guy from a town close by called Selkirk NY, and that I'd had it for a number of years, he went down on 13 June 66, and his name was LT Col. Charles Burkart, etc...

...He said his name was Alan, and no last name be mentioned now, He started asking me all sorts questions as I was wearing my "psycovets" hat, and he showed me a badge from the "Stratton Va.", etc, and questions lead to questions...

..turns out that Alan was a POW from 1968 thru 1969, and what a conversations flew up...

...walked with a cane, and never stopped smiling as he told me how they pulled his toenails out, not a doubt in my mind that he's the real deal...

...went out to my truck, and got my "psycovets" coffee mug (dirty, and ugh), and had it cleaned quick, and gave it to him...

... a soft tear appeared from his eye as he read it, and he knew it came from the heart...

...he's 52, with greying hair, and the Va. badge confirmed what I had already known, but I'm a confirmer...

...I sit here tonight humbled, we talked about his experiences, and mine, and he told me mine were harder to live with, he'd left his behind...

...Honored beyond belief said I as I walked out the door, he thanked me for my service, and not his, I felt so small for my efforts...

...For he is my friend, that I shall give my all, forever...

..."Welcome home"...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2003, 11:43 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Angels sometimes walk with canes...

Thank you C....

http://www.aiipowmia.com/arkmnu.html

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Seat

Sounds like you made a friend, And as all friends do, he made an impressione on you. I think we are all glade not to have had the POW experiance.
We lost one of our guys for 3 days once, When we found him he was real pale looking and hadn't sleep for 3 days.
I can't emagin what your frend went through, its good to hear he left it behind, I don't belive I could do that, I would have to get some long range revenge somehow,

Ask him to come on board.

Ron
Old 04-11-2003, 08:01 AM

Seatjerker,

You can see it in the eyes of Senator McCaine I don't know how they did it but every time I see him I look into the eyes and you can tell there was real pain there. It's a miracle so many made it back from VN.

I wear a braclet too Maj. Richard G. Elzinga USAF went down 26 March 1970 in Laos. It's a reminder to me and those who ask what it is.

Just look into the their eyes -

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 AM

SeatJerker,

I don't want to rain on the parade here, and I'm real happy that you "connected" with this vet. But ... I have a couple serious questions...

He says he was POW in '68 and '69. Where? I am not aware of any POW releases in SEA other than the Big One ... when they all came home.

And if this guy was exchanged or escaped, why have we never heard of him?

The Old Sarge
Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Methinks he is a Wannabe

Curtis, I happened to know a MIA named Alan in MAC-SOG he was part of a heavy team that went in near Tchepone Laos in 68 and were lost. I did a search and he is still listed as missing. SGT Alan Boyer. Further searching shows that 3 men first Name Alan are listed as MIA/POW during 1968 One that I know, A CWO2 Army dustoff pilot near Ban Me Thuot, And a Navy pilot listed as survival unlikely. All are age 55 or older now. All 3 men are listed as MIAs No POWs with first name Alan are listed for loss in 1968. No POWs were released in 1969 or 1970 and only one VN era POW ever escaped. (Trivia: Who was he?)

Go get your coffee mug back
Old 04-11-2003, 10:40 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

and smack him with the cane...

also his Angel wings need to be removed...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-11-2003, 12:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I...

...might have mixed up something in translation, or...

...might be from the GW1 as he told me he was injured punching out over the "erphrades" river in 91, so it might be he enlisted in 68/69, could be "my" mistake on it being the Vietnam era...

...saw the Stratton Va. badge, and it's genuine...

...said he was flying a f-14 tomcat...

...knew all the right words, don't believe there is any bull about him,...

...I thought 52 seemed young, but I will see him again, and ask, He was straight up all the way, and I did ask my buddy who sings at the restaraunt, and he said that he was aware of it( his history)...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 04-11-2003, 12:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sid

Was it John Cavianti? SF MOH Recipient. He escaped I think a couple of times but was recaptured each. Last time I talked with him, many moons ago, he was on his way to CSM school.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 04-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I called The SGM

Checked with Sergent Major Jim Farrell who was operations at BMT (then SFC) at the time Sgt Boyer was lost to see if there could be a mistake. Sgt Boyer was part of a Recon team of 3 US and 6 or 7 Vietnamese that went into the Tchepone area and came under contact. They called for an extraction and were in the process of being extracted when the chopper came under heavy AW fire. The Vietnamese were on the chopper and Sgt Boyer was on the rope ladder when the chopper had to leave. Crew members reported that the ladder was cut by AW fire (or broke) and Sgt boyer fell to the ground, The two other US soldiers and Sgt Boyer were the only ones left on the ground. The helicopter left the area and reported that NVA were moving to the Three US soldiers. A search and rescue team was inserted the next day but no trace of anyone was found.