The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2003, 09:44 AM

Default NewsMax Irks Gephardt; New York Times Doesn?t

One of the biggest stories of the past week was White House wannabe Dick Gephardt?s shocking threat that he?d use executive orders to ?overcome? any Supreme Court decision he deemed ?wrong.? But if you relied on the New York Times and most other big media, you were in the dark.

Rep. Gephardt?s press secretary Eric Smith made clear to NewsMax that he was unhappy with our coverage. He said that he wouldn?t be returning any more of our phone calls and that he had plenty of other media he could be talking to. No doubt.

Smith has a tough job, especially in recent days, and we don?t want to give him a hard time, but his defense of the candidate was lacking. He insisted that President Bush and other presidents used executive orders to undermine the court, but experts in constitutional law whom we talked to said that was not true and not even possible. Executive orders apply only to underlings in the executive branch. The Supreme Court gets to slap down the president, not the other way around.

So, when Gephardt made his strange statement to Jesse Jackson?s Rainbow/PUSH outfit, was he showing his ignorance about constitutional law and presidential authority, or just pandering to the crowd?

You can give him the benefit of the doubt and say that all candidates make insincere promises and foolish off-the-cuff remarks. The bigger story here is how the media failed to cover Gephardt?s gargantuan gaffe.

As NewsMax has reported, nearly all of the leftist media establishment ignored Gephardt?s shocking pledge or buried it without comment in a general story about the Democrat candidates? Bush-bashing appearance in Chicago. Fox News Channel was the only major news outlet we saw giving the story any play.

The New York Times, as usual, was one of the worst offenders. Buried deep in an article blandly headlined ?Democratic Candidates Court Black Voters,? the Times? Monica Davey wrote that Gephardt and Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, ?said that if elected president they would issue executive orders reversing any Supreme Court ruling that might jeopardize affirmative action,? the Democrat catch phrase for discrimination against those of European and Asian descent.

She failed to include Gephardt?s infamous quotation, which even the Associated Press did, albeit without comment: "When I'm president, we'll do executive orders to overcome any wrong thing the Supreme Court does tomorrow or any other day."

Nor did the Old Gray Lady offer any follow-up editorials. So much for covering all the news that?s fit to print.

In the Washington Post, the item was buried deep in a column by Howard Kurtz, three days after the fact.

The Times and Post, of course, would have screamed from the rooftops for a week had candidate George W. Bush made such a foolish statement, and the rest of the media herd would, as usual, have trotted along to their cue and spouted variations on their banalities.

When Smith told NewsMax there were other media he could be talking to, he wasn?t kidding.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2003, 10:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default How true, How true!

Just when you thought it might have been safe to believe that there is no liberal bias in the press, assuming one could ever have been that naive, ignorant or suffering from rectal defolade, along comes Little Dick Gephardt. Not only was his statement prima facie evidence of his abysmal lack of undertanding what constitutional law is all about, but it shows the depths to which this wannabe will slink to suck up to the Black vote. Then here comes the liberal, i.e., mainstream, press and they write as if this egregious statement was never made. Is Jayson Blair still writing for The New York Times? Are all the reporters, reporterettes and talking heads so marvelously stupid, that they can't research something so simple as to find out what constitutes an Executive Order, and to whom it applies? Probably. If the situation wasn't so pathetic with the Democratic wannabees, stepping all over their tongues and themselves, it would be hilarious. Now that I think about it, it IS hilarious!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

And Dick Gephardt was the Mo. Rep. who influenced Mo. Governor Bob Holden to take down Confederate Battle Flags from Confederate Cemeteries and Battlefields And as President he has stated he would take them all down in every State Park and Battlefield . Also today in the paper it stated he has missed 88% of the roll call votes since he started campaigning
Old 06-30-2003, 09:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All the Demo hopefuls seem to be grasping at straws hoping for a campaign hook and/or something to differentiate them from the field. Even the usually linear ones are getting all sideways and stupid. We?ll see what emerges after the primaries but I?ll bet all this useless, empty rhetoric will slack a bit when the real contest begins or at least become focused and repeatable. As to Gep, well, he just goes the way the winds of opportunity blow and I doubt he has ever had an original thought in his life. No doubt his spin docs cook up all his crazy pronouncements and he just regurgitates them on cue. How in the world could someone serve in Congress so long and be so ignorant about Constitutional law? To my knowledge the Executive Branch can challenge a Supreme Court ruling via the established Court process but can?t just summarily pitch a ruling out just cuz. Jeezzz, that?s Banana Republic Junta stuff, scary idiotic-shit for sure.

Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote