The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Another Anniversary--Another day of Mourning:

Today marks the thirty-seventh anniversary of the death of my best Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish. He died aboard the Hospital Ship Sanctuary, just two days short of his twentieth birthday; after being wounded toward the end of August 1968. He was a Navy Corpsman and assigned to the Marine 3rd Military Police Battalion, when he sustained his wounds.

He had attempted to cross an open small arms fire swept field, while going to the assistance of two wounded Marines. In the process of crossing that field, and before reaching the Marines, Alan had been wounded, by shrapnel from an exploding hand grenade, in both of his legs. His wounds were serious, but not life threatening at that time. Alan chose not to stop and give himself First Aid, although an open crater was nearby in which he could have easily done so. Instead he dragged himself to the location of the two Marines, being unable to run any further. Upon reaching the Marines, Alan then used his own body to shield the Marines from small arms fire that was still being directed toward them. In so doing he was then repeatedly struck in the lower torso area. In spite of his newest wounds, Alan still thought of the Marines condition first, rather then his own, and started to administer First Aid to those Marines. He continued to do so until passing out from lack of blood and Shock. When they were able to be reached, Alan was barely alive and draped over the Marines. His body had definitely spared the Marines from further incoming fire. For his act of Heroism, Alan was Posthumously awarded the Navy Cross and Purple Heart.

Even after thirty-seven years, I still remember his friendship very vividly and continue to mourn his loss. He was more like a Brother to me, then a good friend. Each September 7, my grief overcomes me and I know that I will never forget him, or this date. As I am writing this, Sandstorms are starting to form in my eyes and I can hardly see just what I am typing. Must be dust in the air!

As part of handling my grief, I thought that I would use this Forum in an attempt to keep Alan's memory alive. I was hoping that others would also like to remember Alan in their own way. He was a great guy and always willing to help others before thinking of himself. His name appears on panel #45 West, last name on the right side, about four rows up from the bottom, on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Rest In Peace Buddy:

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2005, 10:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

May you and Alan both find peace. God be with you.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

RIP Alan R. Gerrish

VN 1968 I'm sure he's looking down and smiling that you have kept his memory alive all this time. As long as we remember them like you have Alan, the fallen will not be forgotten. Have peace bro

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy Survivors Guilt

Damn sandstormes. LTC Moore , in the movie , We were Soldiers Once says at the end of the battle " I'll never be able to forgive myself for leading so many men into battle where so many died and I didn't " This site , and the people here have helped me with this issue. We owe it to all the Allens that didn't come home to honor their memory and help each other. I 've come to the conclusion the best way to honor them is to lead my life to the best of my ability. I feel as though they are watching me , cheering me on when I want to stop and stoping me when I mess up. I think they laugh at some of the things I get my self into. You got a lot of Brothers here 68 , let me hump some of that ruck and you and Alan visit today , your friends still. If you are wounded , I will carry you .If you are captured I will come for you and If you are killed I will always remember you. We remember Alan , Thank you. !
Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks for bringing Alan to us to be remembered. They are never truly gone if we remember them. All of them on The Wall deserve to have their names said out loud sometimes. To be on someone's lips and their names said with a breath of reverance.

R.I.P. Alan R. Gerrish

And Peace to you, VN '68
Old 09-07-2005, 02:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Seabee
Distinctions
Contributor 

LT
like many others who lost good friend and best buddies, I know how you feel, as I lost a very good friend in Oct 1965 in East Danang. I am going to my home town of Chillicothe, OH. the frist of Oct. While their I want to go to the Wall, and visit him, and tell him how much I miiss, and think of him daiily. I have never been able to work up the courage to go to the Wall, because I don't know if I could hold my head up on see all the names their, and thinking if that mortor round had been ten feet closer it would have beem my name on that Wall. It's hard to put the words together right now, but I do know how you feel.

Any day above ground is a good day
Old 09-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Robert J Ryan

RIP HM3 Gerrish. Your Heroism saved two fallen marines. May God shine his grace upon you. Old Seabee we will always remember our buddies and thier sacrifices.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up My Most Sincere Thanks to Everyone:

Today would have been Alan's 57th Birthday if he had survived. I think of him every day and just know that he is in a far better place now. He is free from pain and the torment that we, the living, must endure. As for me, I know that the Vietnam War will never truly be over until I join Alan in death though.

My most sincere thanks go out to Catman, Bill Farnie, DMZ-Lt, Frisco-Kid and RJ Ryan for their very comforting and caring words. They were most appreciated and made a really hard day easier to endure. Now I must get through today's sadness and the thought of Alan's birthday many years ago.

As for Old Seabee, maybe I can help him with his pain by advising him to visit the Traveling Wall when it is in his area. I also know the dread of facing that sacred ground for the first time. When I first went to The Wall in Washington DC, I broke down and cried uncontrollably. It was help from a fellow Vietnam Vet, that had lost a leg and was confined to a wheelchair, which gave me the strength I needed. He was being pushed by another guy, as he passed Panel #45 West. He told the other guy to stop and asked for help in standing. When he did so, he then gave me a Bear Hug and stated "Welcome Home Brother". "I know your pain". He then got back in his wheelchair and continued on his way. That hug, from a crippled man that I had never met before, gave me the strength to continue my visit with my Buddy, Alan. While I have felt sadness on every subsequent visit to The Wall, I have never gone through the same emotional breakdown that I first went through. That Vietnam Vet, in that wheelchair, helped carry my Ruck, as DMZ-Lt stated in his entry, when I could not carry it myself. I will be eternally grateful for that help when I needed it the most. If you also break down--Old Seabee--there will be a Brother, or Sister, to help you carry your Ruck also. We are all Brothers and Sisters that have formed a very unique fraternity. We all served in Vietnam and were subsequently effected by it in one way or another. The Wall is a very healing experience which will help you deal with your grief also.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 09-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Hey buddy--Remember when we were at the Wall, I know frist hand just how much you miss him. take care old buudy, unitl next we meet again--Dennis
Old 09-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Seabee
Distinctions
Contributor 

Vietnam 1968
Thank you. I have tried to visit the Wall in the past. The traveling Wall was here in my area several years ago. One night while on patrol I worked up the courage to visit it. I got off at 0300 and started for the church where it was displayed. I almost got their, when I started crying thinking about seeing all the names and my buddies. I couldn't't do it, I lost my courage and I have regretted ever since. But this time I am going, and I have prayed that God will give me that final push to tell Don and all the others what I am feeling. Again thank.

Any day above ground is a good day