The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Hope some of you Brothers and Sisters can give me some advice:

Well Brothers and Sisters, I have previously called upon the fine members of this great Forum when I desperately needed to talk to another Vietnam Veteran concerning the Demons that were still haunting me from my Tour in Nam. I then again reached out to you when I wanted advice concerning matters about my Civilian Job and a possible claim to the VA. In each instance I received the help I needed so much.

I applied to the VA for a possible disability based on Class #2 Diabetes, and other health matters, related to my Active Duty both in Nam and again right after my Reserve Unit was called up after 9/11/2001. It took over two years to hear anything from the VA but I finally have been summoned to the Orlando, Florida VA Medical Center for a series of tests.

The tests are to be held on 12/27/2007 (six tests)
12/28/2007 (one test)
12/31/2007 (one test)

I have not ever had any dealings with the VA before and I am completely in the dark as to just what to expect. Have any of you ever dealt with the Orlando, Florida VA Medical Center? If so, what were your feelings about the place? Was the staff helpful or did they treat you with a sense of opposition to your claim and needs? The fact that the VA is even sending me for tests at all; is this a sign that they believe my documentation so far--Or are the tests standard for every applicant? Any help that any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have heard HORROR STORIES concerning the VA in which they had given Veterans with severe problems directly relating to the Veteran's Military Service (missing limbs and potential deadly illnesses) the run around and no help or disability percentage at all.

Frankly I don't know what to expect and hope that some of you might be able to calm my fears in some way. Bless you if any of you can be of help.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again want to wish you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT:

WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Advice

First make sure you get a service rep organization, there is the American Legion, VFW, Disabled American Vets. Bring your DD-214 with you to start the claim process before you go for your test. Let the rep know you are scheduled for tests. If you have a service organization representing you, you will have a better chance for disability ratings.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile Thanks for the Information Robert:

Thanks Robert for your advice. I joined the VVA about a year ago and they have been filing papers on my behalf. The problem however is that the Providence, Rhode Island branch of the VA started the process and wanted me to go to Boston, Massachusetts for the tests. My Wife and I reside in Clermont, Florida for the Winter months and I notified them that I would not be back in the Boston area until next May. The VA then notified me that they would reschedule the tests for a VA facility near Clermont.

The VA already has copies of my two DD-214 as well as copies of my entire medical history while I served on Active Duty (both times). All those records are still in Massachusetts as I did not bring them with me this year.

I have kept the VVA informed of all developments and they were the ones that helped get the tests transferred to Florida. Neither the VA nor the VVA wanted me to wait until I returned to Massachusetts again before taking the tests.

Thanks again Brother for all your information. As always a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT
WELCOME HOME to you.

VIETNAM 1968
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Great

Good to know you a oraganization representing you. Don't worry about any tests, or what the VA will do, take the tests answer their questions honsestly and all of it will work out for your benefit.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).