The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Something McCain knows a lot about

HUGH HEWITT: Now your former colleague, John McCain, said look, there’s no record, there’s no evidence here that these methods actually led to the capture or the killing of bin Laden. Do you disagree with that? Or do you think he’s got an argument?

RICK SANTORUM: I don’t, everything I’ve read shows that we would not have gotten this information as to who this man was if it had not been gotten information from people who were subject to enhanced interrogation. And so this idea that we didn’t ask that question while Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was being waterboarded, he doesn’t understand how enhanced interrogation works. I mean, you break somebody, and after they’re broken, they become cooperative. And that’s when we got this information. And one thing led to another, and led to another, and that’s how we ended up with bin Laden.

As Justin Elliott at Salon observes:

Here's a passage from McCain's memoir in which he describes being subjected to beatings and telling his interrogators false information in response:

Once my condition had stabilized, my interrogators resumed their work. Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I did not cooperate. Eventually, I gave them my ship’s name and squadron number, and confirmed that my target had been the power plant. Pressed for more useful information, I gave the names of the Green Bay Packers offensive line, and said they were members of my squadron. When asked to identify future targets, I simply recited the names of a number of North Vietnamese cities that had already been bombed.

I was occasionally beaten when I declined to give any more information. The beatings were of short duration, because I let out a hair-raising scream whenever they occurred.

In one four-day period, McCain says he was beaten "every two to three hours," and his arm was broken and ribs cracked. So if nothing else, this is a man who can be said to know how enhanced interrogation works. (Santorum, as far as I can tell, has never been tortured, nor did he serve in the military.)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1cav...,

Good points raised by both sides on the issue.

Still, neither side can prove anything about merits (or not) of enhanced interrogation or even outright torture. Some people handle deprevation, discomfort & even downright pain of broken bones better than others.

Still, and if lives of me & mine are at risk from Murderous Muslim Terrorists, I say do whatever possible to garner needed intel from any such captured Infidel Beheaders whom don't even take prisoners to start with.

Asinine Political Correctness and/or coddling any captured Muslim Killers is just plain stupid & nationally-suicidal,...no matter how many: "Talking Heads" insist differently.

Neil