Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2010, 07:50 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Marines show UFC fighters what real warriors are

Marines show UFC fighters what real warriors are

posted at 5:46 pm on October 30, 2010 by Cassy Fiano
printer-friendly

People always tell me, how cool it is what we do, but there’s nothing cooler than being a US Marine.

A lot of people look at UFC fighters — and athletes in general — as warriors. Think of the NFL alone. How many ads do you see that show football players, or hockey players, or UFC fighters, as warriors preparing to go to battle? Of course, while these men are obviously incredibly impressive athletes, they aren’t warriors.

On January 8th of this year, UFC fighters Gabriel Gonzaga, Marcus Davis, Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin, former Marine Brian Stann, and UFC founder Dana White spent the day learning what being a real warrior is all about. They visited Marines at MCB Quantico, and it was clearly a humbling experience for them.

See, the difference between athletes and Marines is that Marines have to be warriors. They don’t go to battle and then go to a locker room when it’s over.

It’s kill or be killed for them. They have to be the best they can be, because if their lives are on the line when they go to battle. It isn’t just a game.

This is somewhat personal for me. With my husband in Afghanistan, I can sleep well at night knowing that he, and the Marines he’s deployed with, have received the best possible training, and the best possible equipment, they can get. It’s life or death out there. My husband has been in an IED blast. He was lucky to only get a concussion. They’re in firefights constantly. They’ve lost two Marines and one corpsman. These Marines have to be warriors, they have to be at the top of their game, if they’re going to survive.

These UFC fighters got a taste of what all of this means, and how serious the training Marines go through is. Honestly, I thought that they would breeze through the MCMAP, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. They didn’t. I thought that, as professional athletes, the Marine Corps obstacle course would be a piece of cake for them. It wasn’t. The Marines showed up these professional athletes, these men who do mixed martial arts for a living, in every way possible. These fighters were humbled by these men, these boys.

They showed them what real warriors are.

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives...-warriors-are/

There is a fundraiser as part of this article but you'll have to go there to read about it.

Joy

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I've always hated it when sports announcers call any given athlete a "warrior" or a "soldier" when the only uniform they've ever worn is for whatever team they happen play. Like yesterday when they called Brett Favre a "warrior" for playing, and when Kellen Winslow, Jr. called himself a "soldier". Yeah, right! The worst thing these "warriors" have to face is an opposing player and, when its over, they shake hands and agree to meet for a couple of post-game beers. The only "war" those guy know is watching old John Wayne movies.