Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2004, 06:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Now we're talkin'!

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040804090008.7hxevi7r.html

Stressed Israeli soldiers to be treated with cannabis

JERUSALEM (AFP) Aug 04, 2004
Israeli soldiers suffering from combat stress after tours of duty in the Palestinian territories could soon be treated with cannabis to relieve their symptoms, the Maariv daily reported Wednesday.

The mental health department of the Medical Corps is set to to begin tests in the next few days on volunteers who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder after reserve duty, the paper said. A scientist who will help conduct the experiment heads a research team which discovered that cannabis helped mice which had suffered physical stress and even reduced the risk of stroke. Hundreds of Israelis have been treated for combat stress after performing their mandatory national service in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. There was no immediate comment on the report from the Israeli military.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:42 AM

You can only stay wound so tight before something let's go! Continous action reaction will take a toll and burn out the lights if not allowed some time to stop and smell the roses.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 AM

Or in this case the "Buds"
Old 08-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Robert J Ryan

POT! I can't believe that the Isralies are going to let their troops get high. What's net a few lines of coke.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:36 PM

You guys know not everyone uses or takes drugs. I tried it once and I couldn't stand not having control over myself. Beer's are the only thing I get next to. Hard liquour and I have whole new personality that kicks as well as my teeth.

You learn this by doing - and by recording all the scars from the other wars - if you know what I mean.

Old age sure does make you smarter - the old learn by doing can be expensive at times - I know!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-06-2004, 05:31 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I think its a new tactic by the Palestinians. If ya can't beat 'em, smoke 'em out!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

That could be the ticket Dan, but on the other hand maybe it?s a matter of fighting smoke with smoke. Them Arab folks are long known users of hashish going way, way back and at a time plying the centuries ago Hashissins (English language=Assassins) with hash and women as a primo pre-assignment perk. Like their modern counterparts; the suicide bombers, their mission was one way only as well. I wonder if today?s suicide bombers do a big old hash roach before they hit the detonator/ exit button. Seems likely they would but I?ve not heard that they do. I?d be a bit surprised if they didn?t, considering keeping with tradition and all.

Scamp
Old 08-07-2004, 05:08 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Scamp,

I did some reading on the Hassassins and its an interesting story. The recruiters would find young men living in the most squalid conditions, bring them in and let them smoke their brains out. While they were unconscious, they'd be carried into another room that was luxurious as hell, with lots of good food, flowing wine, and (most important) willing women who catered to their every wish. They'd party like fiends, smoke some more, then wake up in the original room. There, they were told they had been to heaven and were guaranteed a place there to live forever in that environment...and all they had to do was "eliminate" someone for Allah. Of course, since they had nothing to begin with, they had nothing to lose and eagerly did what they were asked.

From what I've been reading about those contemporary diaper heads, the inducement policy hasn't changed much.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:12 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb history

A dozen or more years ago a ship from the old city-state of Carthage was found, sunk off the coast of Italy. Ship was dated around the year 210 BC. At the time Carthage and Rome were at war (Hannibal and all those guys). No doubt it was a re-supply vessel for Hannibal?s army. There was sort of a safe on the sunken ship which was raised to the surface and opened. Inside there was no treasure, only a very large block of a black substance. A chemical analysis was done on the ?black stuff?, it was Hash.

Then again the Spartans always drank wine before a battle, members of the British Navy were given a cup of grog everyday. It was always thought that some form of ?relax-a-tive? kept the nerves of the troops a little more steady.

I think most combat troops around the world, when not in the field, almost require a drug. The drug may be booze, a prescription, grass or in many cases female companionship, (That is a drug - sex affects the same pleasure zone in the brain).
I?m often wrong but I do have my opinions.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 08-07-2004, 11:28 AM

Andy,
That hormonal drug is called Serotonin. It's what makes you feel calmer and happier.

Zoloft works to block the nerves that emit serotonin from reabsorbing the very thing they emit. This way more of it gets to the receptor cells in the brain.
Many other substances, including chocolate, do this very same thing. A few even cause the body to produce more of the hormone.

Too bad there isn't a way to induce this chemo-reaction enmasse. We could avoid many wars to begin with. But then I for one would not want to spend my life in a drug induced state of mind.
Maybe we could just treat those areas of the world that are hot spots.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan