The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy The People vs. the Press

The People vs. the Press

The Pew Research Center for the People and the Press has a new survey of "547 national and local reporters, producers, editors, and executives across the country." It finds, not surprisingly, that journalists are far more liberal than the general public (Pew surveyed the latter separately). The section on "Values and the Press" finds that only 7% of national journalists described themselves as "conservative," compared with 33% of the public. Thirty-four percent of national journalists called themselves "liberal," vs. just 20% of the public. A majority of national journalists (54%) called themselves "moderate," while 41% of the public did.

In some ways, though, journalists are even more liberal when compared with the general public than these numbers would indicate. Pew asked three specific questions to gauge journalists' social views:

Is belief in God necessary to be moral?

Should homosexuality be accepted or discouraged by society?

What's more important: that everyone be free to pursue his goals without government interference, or that the government guarantee no one is in need?

On the first two of these questions, the views of self-described moderate journalists were far to the left of the public's:

Public Cons. journos Mod. journos
Belief in God necessary 58% 26% 12%
Belief in God unnecessary 40% 72% 85%
Accept homosexuality 51% 49% 84%
Discourage homosexuality 42% 40% 8%

Self-described liberal journalists were nearly unanimous on both questions, with only 3% saying belief in God is necessary to be moral and 2% saying homosexuality should be discouraged.

In addition, 55% of national journalists say they think the press is "not critical enough" of President Bush; only 24% of the public agrees. Thirty-four percent of the public thinks the press is "too critical," vs. a mere 8% of the national press. Thirty-five percent of both groups characterize coverage of the president as "fair."

Journalists were also asked, "Can you think of any news organizations that are especially liberal?" Among national journalists, 62% said they couldn't. But 82% said they could think of an organization that is "especially conservative."

Among both national and local journalists, 68% percent of self described conservatives answered "yes" to each question, while among self-described moderates, 70% could think of a conservative organization and just 40% could think of a liberal one. Among liberals the gap was even greater: 79% could think of a conservative organization and only 24% of a liberal one.

All this suggests that journalists not only are considerably more liberal than the general public but also wish their own coverage were more liberal than it is. No wonder public confidence in the press is suffering.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2004, 07:18 PM

Freedom of the Press - They can say whatever they say about whatever they want to report. What a great thought... this keeps the government from controlling our media. And it worked great... for awhile - but as it turns out the government wasn't letting the reins go, they were handing it off to a whole new driver, and the gov'ment is still stuck along for the ride. Suddenly the media controls the government, and the media loves making the suits jump the hoops.

This may not seem like a bad idea on the surface - maybe the media represents us better than the upper-class who were able to buy themselves into office - you think your vote counts?! The media is the same devil in a new pair of shoes. It is quite the opposite of improvement.

What the media, in most cases I will grant some exceptions, does is report their opinion. They've lost the fact that in addition to freedom of the press there is also a duty of the press. I may not be anyone to lecture about duty as I hide behind annonymity... however it is the DUTY of the press to report the story. How long has it been since you've read an article in the paper or seen a story on the news that was just straight up facts presented without any sort of intention of the journalist lurking in the background. But who really cares about duty when there is money to be made?

The media is an old dog - it's can't be taught anything new. We are stuck with it. I don't think there is any solution. Most people are so used to having their thinking done for them that they cannot see through the opinions imprinted upon them with 'factual' reporting. Most people are asleep and can't form their own opinions.

I challenge you to find a news network that does not support one presidential candidate over another... one that has a neutral stance on the occupation of Iraq or the subjugation of Afghanistan or the monsters all of our soldiers are after the actions of a handful. Those are not my opinions, even though the media would like them to be.

The victim mentality and the who hurt's who's feeling phenomenon are entirely inventions of the media to sell more papers and gain more ratings as suddenly everyone feels that every incident impacts them directly.

I could go on here forever sighting specifics - but that wouldn't be fair - the specific are up to you. How has the media tried to manipulate you?

If you have troubles seeing through the mists here's my remedy to you. Put down the paper, turn off the TV... go out buy a dog take it to the park and enjoy it - the US has great parks and everyone should love dogs.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All of the "news" from all the alphabet outlets, newspapers, and magazines is "managed" before you read it. If you accept any of it as your SOLE source of news on ANY subject, then you deserve the mental confusion it will invariably cause.

Larry
Old 05-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default E

You make a bunch of assumtions, and you know what happens when you assume.
occupation of Iraq ???
subjugation of Afghanistan ???
the media controls the government???
Most people are asleep and can't form their own opinions???
go out buy a dog take it to the park and enjoy it???

We have no occupation of Iraq. We have an occupation of Germany, south Korea, Japan, but not Iraq.

The people of Afghanistan are not our subjects, we have no king.

The media may think they control our government, our government uses the media a lot more than the media knows.

Most of the people I know have an opinion about everything and most of the time they will tell you, sometimes very loud.

Enjoy a dog, If ya get a small one they don't take so long to BBQ.

But Thanks For Your opinion

Ron
Old 05-25-2004, 07:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"I didn't want to work," he said. "All I wanted was employment. So I became a newspaper reporter. I hated to do it, but I couldn't find honest employment."

Then he imparted a little wisdom for apprentice reporters: "Get the facts. Then you can distort them as much as you please."

Mark Twain

Some things never change.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:18 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Question

"If this is what you're presenting, you have got to be the sickest, most despicable cretin God ever put on this earth. And may He have mercy on your soul."... a description of me by a PF member on 3-30-04... "

Larry,

I remember a post you made after 9-11-01 regarding a group of war protestors stating "F the USA". You werein a complete fury in regard to this. I also remember coming to your defense and having my pedigree read in some very colorful terms by other posters that strongly disagreed with me.I have a questionfor you. Why would you not expect the same reaction as yourstoward theremark "F the USA"from other Veteranson this sitewhen you post links to Al Jazeera?

Arrow>>>>>>

By the way I never depend on the mass media, printed or electronic to interpret the news for me. I have the Book of Books on my bedside stand it hasn't failed me yet. >>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 05-25-2004, 01:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I put that in the bottom of my posts for a reason. The person that posted it about me knows why. I support anyone's right to post anything they want on here, including from Arab sources. If it is found objectionable or just plain bullshit, then have David delete it. If the American people cannot open their minds just a little and hear wha the other 85% of the world's population have to say, then someting is very wrong here. As I recall, re : " the F*** the USA..posts..I was riled up over certain foreign folks that had posted some things about the USA..I don't remember being upset with veterans in that context..but I could be wrong..anyway, that was in my previous life ..i.e. : right-wing-Republican incarnation.. LOL..I now post a disclaimer at the top of most posts. I didn't quite get your point...sorry.

Larry

By the way ..the very inaccurate description of me was not in relation to anything from Arab news sources.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:42 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

I believe the question was:

Why not allow old wounds to heal?What`s the point?

Peace,Griz
Old 05-25-2004, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

good point. I am all for that. I will leave it there for awhile though. The person that did it made several posts recently about his "communication skills". If insulting fellow vets in such a matter ( for no good reason at all ) qualifies, then I guess he is correct. That is all I am saying.

Larry
Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Arrow, MD

Im lost,, what? huh?

Ron