The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2003, 08:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Things seem to be pretty slow around here..how about a Roll Call ?

I will start :

Larry Nuckolls ( MORTARDUDE )
Bartlett, TN.

I have lived in the Memphis, TN. area my whole life...

Attended Memphis State University from 1966 - 1969

Accepted into the advanced Air Force ROTC program in 1968. All of my friends and classmates form high school were in the service some WIA and one KIA, and unfortunately my grades and attitude went south, so I dropped out of school in Feb 1969...

So I have an Honorable Discharge from The US Air Force and the US Army...

Attended Memphis State University, a business college, and State
Technical Institute at Memphis from 1976 - 1981 to use my VA benefits and didn't graduate from any of them. I regret this. Would like to have had a degree. Way too expensive now, even for state schools

Served in the US Army from June 1969 - May 1971 ( drafted )

Served in South Vietnam and Cambodia from Nov 1969 - Nov 1970
with Co. C 3/22 25th Inf. Division ( only for a month and was transferred ) and Co. B 2/22(M) 25th Infantry Division. I was an indirect fire crewman ( 81MM mortars ) and .50 cal machine-gunner on an APC ( M113 ) ( armored personnel carrier ) and worked in FDC ( fire direction control ). I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, TN. for basic, Ft. Polk, LA for AIT, and served 6 months at Ft. Hood TX, after returning from Vietnam, where I was assigned to HHC 1/41 2nd Armored Division ( the only division that allows you to wear the patch over your heart .. thanks to Gen. Patton... nickname of the Division is "Hell on Wheels" !! ) and was a crewman on 4.2" mortars.

I have been married 30 years and have 2 sons and a Sheltie dog.
I have worked for the federal government for over 33 years counting my Army time, and most of the time has been spent in computer related jobs, working with mainframe computers ( Big Iron ). I have worked on everything from a Honeywell H-200 and an IBM 360 all the way to state of the art equipment today. I may retire this year, but haven't decided.
I am sure my body will let me know. ( LOL )

My interests include : fresh and salt-water aquariums, Shelties,
military history, Civil War history, reading in general, fishing ( fresh and salt-water ), playing a computer on-line game called TFC ( Team Fortress Classic ), hanging out on eBay way too much, old baseball cards, gardening ( love me some home-grown tomatoes ! ), and for the past 3+ years meeting some of the nicest people in the world online through THC and the Patriotfiles.

Larry
Old 02-26-2003, 10:30 PM

Default You must have insomnia,

I at least have an excuse for being up this late. I have a ship docking at 2 am.

John J. Murphy (colmurph)
Cherry Hill, NJ

Enlisted RA in January 1958 and graduated from FA OCS in June 1966. Commanded ODA-14 in B Co. 3d SFG till June 1968 when I went to Vietnam and ended up as Co. of A 4/3 Infantry, 11th LIB, Americal Div. (an FA officer commanding an Infantry Co.) Back to SF after Vietnam, except for 3 years as a FA BNCO (155SP) then Deputy COS J-3-SO for 8th Army (SOC-Korea) till Sept. 1989, then Deputy Theater Team Chief/Theater Team Chief SOC-South (Panama) until I retired in 1993. Since then I have worked in the Maratime Industry and am Port Manager for Kerr Norton Strachan Agency in the Port of WIlmington, DE. My son is Chaplain of the 325AIR (2d Brigade, 82d Airborne) and is now back in the Gulf for the second time. (he was a Platoon Leader with 2/505, 82d during the first Gulf War)

Hobbies include the CIvil War and collecting U.S. Military weapons from Revolutionary War through Spanish American War. (everything pre-1898)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Early riser

Sidney G. Herndon

Atlanta, Georgia

Joined Army RA in 1965, Went to RVN in 65-66 last part of tour was assigned to 5th SF gp. Went to FA OCS Grad Mar 67 Back to RVN 5th gp, assigned to MAC SOG. 68-69. Returned to RVN 70 for Cambodia, assigned to 25th ID as Liason officer remained as Arty LNO until standdown in Jan 71, Assigned to Americal DIV replaced dusted off Battery Co for B battery 1/82nd Arty (detached from americal under opcon of 101st) in Khe Sahn for opn Lam Son 719. Brought battery from Khe Sahn to Vandergrift to Chu Lai. Returned to States April 71 Assigned to 10th SFG Green light team Bad Toltz Germany (Later became part of SFOD DELTA). in August 1972. Participated in 72 Olympics With Black September, Went to Israel in 1973. Returned to US in 1974 to SFOD DELTA. Resigned from Army in 1977 after passover for 04. Returned to School got Masters in Illumination engineering. Worked on Laser navigation alignment system for Pershing Missle system at Martin Marietta Aerospace in Orlando Fl. Decided to do my own thing in 1984 and started lighting design business. Designed the launch pad lighting systems for Space Shuttle, Lighting design for Tampa Bay Bridge. Moved to Atlanta in 1988 designed lighting for Georgia Dome and Turner field and 1996 Olympics, Since then have done only lighting for Olympic games.

Hobbies are High power shooting. .223 and 25-06 and Hunting

Have 2 sons #1 is Computer whiz & built the psyco vets site for us, #2 is SSG in the Army, Airborne, Ranger, EOD. Serving with SFOD DELTA somewhere?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Lightbulb

OK here goes. HS 65, college 69, History major ( was going to be a teacher ) ROTC commission - Armor. Active duty July 69. Plt ldr Germany 3/37th , volunteer RVN Plt Ldr 2nd plt C Troop 3/5 Cav , Dong Ha. Ft Knox BCT Co. C-18- 5, author Armor in Vietnam Monograph. Ft. Campbell , Rotc. Got off active duty 1980 went into reserves till retired in 89. Married to woman whose name was/is on my bonnie hat - 30 yrs in April , if we last that long. Two beautiful and wonderful daughters 26 & 28. Deaf old dog. Riding motorcycles for 39 years. Like being outdoors. Seem to need more alone time than most. Atlanta since 80. Personnel Mgr most of time. Wow my life in 100 words or less ! All I want on my tomb stone is " LOVING FATHER "
Old 02-27-2003, 07:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My contribution to the Roll Call:

Name: Alan Faber (VIETNAM 1968)
New Bedford, Massachusetts

Graduated from Woburn High School Woburn, Massachusetts June 1965

Enlisted in Air Force May 1966.
Boot Camp: Lackland Air Force Base May-June 1966
Reese Air Force Base Lubbock, Texas July 1966-November 1967
Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam January 1968-January 1969
Otis Air Force Base Falmouth, Mass. February 1969-March 1970

Discharged from Active Duty March 1970

Married July 18, 1970 Settled in New Bedford, Massachusetts
Have two grown Sons and one Grandson

Enlisted in Air Force Reserves January 1984
Assigned to Hanscom Air Force Base Bedford, Massachusetts
Called back to Active Duty in Support of Operation Noble Eagle October 2001-October 2002
Retirement date already scheduled for December 2003

Employed by the City of New Bedford, Massachusetts in Public Safety area.

Hobbies:

Restoring and Driving Antique Cars
Motorcycle Riding
Camping
Old 02-27-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Bio - Hayward Harrington

Join USMC in 1965, "Hollywood" Marine. For some unknown reason, Cincinnati had choice of where to attend bootcamp. Assigned to 2nd Btn, 5th Marines (2/5), "G"Co., and we left for Okinawa on Jan. 7, 1966. Became a 5th Marine Sniper in Okinawa, May, 1966, we were at Chu Lai. Last two months in Vietnam, I was with 1st Btn, 26th Marines (1/26), "A"Co. on Hill 55 south of Da Nang. Rotate back to the States to Camp Lejune with the 1Btn, 2nd Marines (1/2) "C"Co., Weapons Plt. Spent half of 1967 in the Med. on cruise. Stayed in Camp Lejune until June of 1968, I took a quota opening and went to Quantico.

Used the G.I. Bill for college and became a teacher in Ohio, Kentucky, and Nevada. I have been in Las Vegas for 25 years now. I left the classroom after being a history teacher for 25 years, and I am now an administrator.

I have a great wife (24 years) and two sons. Oldest is in college, and the youngest is in high school.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane

Gulf War vet just wanting to say thanks! Also, Thanks to Col Murph for mentioning site. Glad we can converse together!
Old 02-28-2003, 04:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Mr. Insomnia and I are friends, sort of...

I meet him frequently and we just try to stay out of each others way ( LOL )...I added a few things to my story above. Thanks to all for participating. Great stories ! Look forward to reading others also.

Larry

DEO VINDICE
Old 02-28-2003, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I started out as a child

I was born a poor black child but got the same skin doctor that Michael Jackson has. I was raised by wolves on the prairie untill adopted by a family of prairie dogs
Things were different in AMerica in those days--the endless prairies, the ineradicable buffalo, steam engines on trains. I was raised hard: We had to get up and walk all the way across the room to change the channel on the 2 color (B&W) teevee-- fortunately didn't do it that often because there was only 2 channels and one was PBS
As I was growing up, there seemed to be a war that was going on forever in a far away place. There was such a hoopdedo about it, I thought i'd just join the army where I could help my country out by getting my hair cut short, wearing green clothes and learning to march around in straight lines with dozens of other guys.
Sure enough, that was what happened. They have lots of different ways to do it but marching around in straight lines was not what I consider fun, not like it looks on the ads.Some times theyd say mean things to us, too, my feelings were HURT!!
When I finally got to the war we didn't march around in straight lines AT ALL!!! What's up with THAT, eh??? We were so good at it too. They also taught us to shine our shoes so we could shave in em (mine kept getting wet) We may have lost the war but we sure had shiny shoes. This wasn't much help in the war either!!! Whats up with THAT?? Some real Failure To Grasp The Concept there on the part of our leaders on what was important to know to win the war, no error--this was not the only instance either.
Being in the war was just like camping out in the Boy Scouts but fewer fag Scout leaders and bigger zip guns. Gosh we learned how to use rifles for pounding in tent pegs, how to open cans with big knives, how to argue about where we were, how to fill sandbags and how to call for help.
It wasn't as swell as after the war--My God, Free drinks, parades, pretty girls just falling right on their backs for you soon as they saw the uniform--Gosh it was fun being a big hero but thats all over now
Nowadays its just long sad walks in the park thinking about all the best friends that died in my arms, chuckling reminiscently over past massaacres, and singing The Stabbing Song

James Worth
Somewhere Out There In Internetland
Old 02-28-2003, 10:54 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Bio, again

Tom (Andy) Andrzejczyk
Easthampton Mass.

After one semester at U. Mass. I quit and joined the army, asked for airborne infantry and wanted to visit a country is southeast Asia. Didn?t go the Benning, my best friend was kill in Tay Ninh Province while I was in AIT so I requested an immediate assignment to RVN. For all my many sins, I got what I wanted.
4/23rd Mech Infantry for a year. Followed by six months with the
187th Assault Helicopter Company. Followed by nine months with the
52nd Infantry Bat.

Back in the states became a beach bum in southern California for several months then took a magical mystery tour of the country. New Orleans was the best, El Paso was the worst. Eventually decided to become a cop (go figure). Retired due to illness after 28 years as a detective sergeant. Obtained a Master?s Degree in criminal justice just for the hell of it.

Married (my wife is also my zoo keeper), two sons both great kids but the younger one is now 30, I can?t be that old! One son married a girl who is half Italian half Jewish, which means she can get her wine whole sale. Other son is engaged to light Afro-American who is a New York Yankees fan, however for whatever reason, I still love her.

I enjoy peal diving in upstate New York and make napalm for a local right wing group. I?ve never voted for anyone named Kennedy, so don?t blame me. Half Polish (arrived 1905), half English (arrived 1690). Active in our church, spend lots of time in study groups, trying to learn the bible in Greek. Oh yes, whenever I?m mad it?s nice to shoot living creatures that visit our back yard. Occasionally eat the hearts out of freshly killed birds. This has been witnessed by a couple of neighbors, hence so one complains about the shooting. Nice neighbors.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: "Vietnam 1968", we aren't that far away. Have lots of relatives in Clinton, and Framingham.