The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2003, 06:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Remembering

I was puting some of the pictures of our VN trip of earlier this year into an album, and got to thinking about Kontum when I ran across this photo. On our trip, this was kind of a side trip. Kontum is about 30 mi. north of Pleiku on Hwy. 14. There are no decent roads from there to the coast, which was our next destination, so we would have to double back to Pleiku to catch Hwy. 19 to take us over Mang Yang Pass to Qui Nhon. 60 mi. roundtrip could take 3-5hrs., so we weren't going to stay very long in Kontum. That was okay with me. I didn't remember much of the town anyway. Spent most of the time there in the mountains. Just wanted to know that I had made it back there, and James got some bragging rites for being able to say he has been there . Like most of the other towns that we made it back to, it had significantly grown. We drove around the town abit, stopped for a nice lunch and left town. Probably stayed about 2hrs.. Some of this is in the movie, for those of you who have it.

The countryside around Kontum, and west to Cambodia, is some of the most rugged in VN. Steep mountains with narrow fingers running off the sides of them. Many of the peaks were 700'-1200' elevation. When operating here, we often had to use ropes to haul each other up some of the hillsides. When I was there in '66/'67, most of it was still covered with triple canopy jungle. As the war progressed, some of this, along the Ho Chi Minh Trail, was knocked down with Agent Orange. Today, alot of it has been cleared with logging and slash-and-burn clearing to make room for the coffee and spices plantations that the Central Highlands are now covered with.

In early DEC66 all 3 Bns. of the 101st was moved from Tuy Hoa over on the coast, to Kontum. We deployed into LZs in the Plei Trap and Dak Akoi valleys. It was some ominous country, and in DEC it's shrouded in low, misty clouds most of the time. This was heavy NVA country, and some of the fiercest fighting of my tour was in this area.

A couple days before Christmas '66, we were pulled out for a standdown at a basecamp just outside of Kontum City. We were set up around a PSP airstrip. There was an ARVN Ranger or Airborne unit there, also. The day after Christmas, my CO asks if anyone wants to make a jump with the ARVNs on the 27th. Myself and 2 buddies, Beetle and Coz, decide to do it. There's also some guys from some other companies and some LRRPs that decide to make the jump. We spend most of the rest of the day practicing PLFs off of the back of a deuce and a half.

The next morning we're boarding C-130s. After we take off and fly over a couple of mountains, I wonder where the hell the DZ is. I assumed we were jumping somewhere near the airstrip. I can see out of one of the doors and when the jumpmaster stands us up, I still haven't seen anything but jungle. Then the green light is on. When it's my turn in the door, I'm still only seeing mountain side in front of me. As I make my exit and my 'chute opens, I finally see that we're jumping into a narrow valley. It looks to be wall to wall rice paddy. I also notice that the wind is kicking pretty good. I'm thinking this maybe wasn't such a good idea. As the ground comes up to meet me, I do a PLF in about a foot and a half of rice paddy water. I don't even have a chance to stand up. My 'chute is dragging me until I hit a dike so hard, I thought I broke something. It slows me down enough to where I can get up and collapse my parachute. As I'm doing that, 2 ARVNs get dragged over the dike and it doesn't even slow them down. OUCH! We're eventually picked up by trucks, and I spend most of the ride back trying to get the mud out of my eyes, nose, mouth, and ears. I make it into town the next day looking for a little comforting from one of the local ladies. I find it.

Two days later we're back out humping the mountains. The early morning hours of 2JAN67 is one of my scariest nights in Nam. By daybreak my company has 7 dead and 18-20 wounded. The brigade leaves Kontum around the end of JAN67 for an operation around our home basecamp at Phan Rang. Had a few good times there, but wasn't sorry to leave. AHHH, the memories.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question HEY

Where's my picture? Trying again
Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Tom -
Excuse the airmanlike ignorance, but what IS a "PLF" You did it off the back of a truck for practise, and then in a rice paddy.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:40 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

PLF: Parachute Landing Fall

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 10-27-2003, 07:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink PLF

Parachute Landing Fall. A technique practiced so much in Jump School, you do them in your sleep. Most of us hadn't jumped for quite awhile, so had to get in some practice so we maybe wouldn't hurt ourselves. My last jump had been in Jump School, more than 6mos. earlier.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

When was your last jump,Tom?

Peace,Griz
Old 10-28-2003, 03:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks Tom & Sparrow -
Some yell at me for asking these questions, some don't, thanks for not... just trying to understand what I read, and what you did.

I am guessing a PLF, then, is something like what I've seen many times in films, where you basically come down at the earth pretty fast, flare out if possible and sorta crumple your body in such a way as to not break any bones, get on the ground and the parachute off as quickly as possible?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Frisco

Are those Cocran sandles your wearing in the picture???

Actually, I'm wonderin' if you wore your jungle stompers for the jump or did you get some fresh Cocrans? I'm guessing they weren't gonna issue new boots for one jump.

Great story......didn't realize you made a jump into the green latrine.

Airborne! (See ya in a couple of weeks)

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 10-28-2003, 06:48 AM

Default PLF

A PLF, if memory serves, is "balls of the feet, side of the calf, side of the thigh, butt, shoulders, roll on shoulder to point feet in direction of the chute. All the time you were to have your knees slightly flexed, your leg muscles loose and "keep your f eet and kees together." The execution is different depending on your direction of travel, front, side or back. With the old T 10s you were at the mercy of the prevailing ground wind for direction. With the first steerable parachute hte Army used, the "dash-ones," the parachute always guided to a rear-face landing. Were you in a T-10 or dash-one for that jump?

My last jump was in February 1977, with the Montana National Guard's C Co. 5th Bn, 19th Group Special Forces, for whom I was a un-flash-qualified medic for a couple of years. I wasn't jump qualified while in the regular army. 19th Group sent me to Fort Benning summer of 1975 for that training. I don't remember how many jumps I finished with, but it was only in the high teens or 20s, which would still classify me as a "cherry jumper" in a regular army airborne unit.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 10-28-2003, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Parachute Landing Falls

Under a properly opened canopy (T-10 military chute) your rate of descent is about 17 feet per second.
Ground impact is about like what you would feel if you stepped off a 4-foot high wall.
The idea of a PLF is to transfer the DOWNWARD energy of impact into HORIZONTAL energy. Montana listed the five points of contact. In addition, you keep your neck muscles taut so your head doesn't snap backward into the ground. The situation is complicated by the fact that you are almost never coming straight down. You are drifting horizontally (due to even a slight wind) in one direction or another. You have to be able to do your PLF in the direction of your drift.
When I went through jump school and we were practicing PLFs the instructors had a thing about hearing that helmet hit the ground. When they heard that, they would stand you up and ask you if you knew that head hit the ground.
They would help you remember by fetching you a horizontal roundhouse to the side of the helmet.

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger