The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default R

This is something that I still see in my head as if it was yesturday. Shouldn't been in the tower, bothered me the last few days. I just figured on Thursday 38 years and 4 months later that, I should have fired over these guys heads when I was fairly sure they were americans. If I had been wrong i just let 10 or 12 VC into our compound. I wasn't possitive but since I didn't hear any screeming or hollering later I guessed it was all right. I was stupid only being in my unit 2 or 3 days.I'm glad I didn't shoot our own guys but I'm going to go kick myself now. The small compound at Phu Tie had 2 sides witch ajoined the villiage. Two of our platoons and HQ had already left for Hue, so there were only about 60 guys left in my trans co and the signal unit was the only other one there. Things were pretty lax at that time.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Slum

Like I PMd you, you did nothing wroung, the fault is with the system. You had no Inf in a compound with only 60 people, what were you doing there? That was a disaster waiting to happen or I should say a Massicure.
Ron
Old 04-15-2006, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default massicure

Why didn't they? There were a few of these company size compounds spread out in little villiages around Quhon. The 597th trans co was overrun in Jan 68. The VC came through the main gate at night, shot the place up a little and blew an outhouse [shiter] with a satchel charge then ran back out. No one on eather side was hurt. [VC with a sence of humor?]The 597th kept their weapons locked up in the arms room at night and only issued them before convoys. True story, I was there the next day and saw the carnage of the blow up shiter. [My buddies now think the VC did not want to hurt anyone because most of their relatives worked for us during the day.] Us REMF's in Quhon had to have our hootch girls to polish our boots and make our beds you know.] It was a hard adjustment moving to Way without them, opening your own c'ration cans etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Robert J Ryan

Shot two chickens one night on guard near Dak To, didn't know they were chickens at first.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default RR

Did you get permission to shoot?
And what was for supper that night?

Sorry Slum I just had to say that.

Ron
Old 04-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

R-Thats ok but I was just wondering If Robert gave the chickens a chance to surrender first.
slum
Old 04-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Slum

You mean like,, HALT-WHO GOES THERE

That will get you killed

Ron
Old 04-16-2006, 06:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I think I remember being told something about a chu hoy program in 1968. I think chu hoy means, I surrender in Vietnamise. There was something about a card or flyer the nva/va were supposed to bring in if they gave them selfs up??????
Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by splummer I think I remember being told something about a chu hoy program in 1968. I think chu hoy means, I surrender in Vietnamise. There was something about a card or flyer the nva/va were supposed to bring in if they gave them selfs up??????
Chieu Hoi: Open Arms. Yeah, they dropped those flyers all over the country. I think it started in '67, as I remember. They could bring in a flyer and a weapon for a peaceful surrender. Many of the Kit Carson scouts were ex-VC/NVA that had surrendered on the program. Never trusted them, personally. Anyone that would desert his own buddies wouldn't have a problem flip-flopping on us if it came down to it.

During Operation Carentan, in I Corps while with the 82nd, we would sometimes find little white flags left near our perimeter at night. Just letting us know how close they could get to us. A little NVA Psy-Ops. Sometimes, we would also find Chieu Hoi leaflets. A little NVA humor.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Chieu Hoi leaflet

On a nice sunny day this VC was walking toward us with his hands raised high in the air and he had one of these tapped to his forehead. Our sniper put a hole right in the middle of it. Lot easier target when they have there hands up.
Ron