The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2003, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Where I live and What I do #2

Had to drive up to Chico, north about 165 miles, on Sunday, this is a nice thing. I live in a beautiful state, no matter which way I drive.
I leave the Bay area about 4 so I can catch the sunset over the Coast Range.
Driving up the I-5 corridor is driving up the Big Valley, the Coastal range to the left (west) and the Sierras on the east.
The Golden California sun slips down behind the purplehued mountains, and the land looks startlingly beautiful, the lush greens, the purples, the gold turning into fiery orange as the sunset tolls the knell of parting day. Sunlight has to travel farther through dust at the mornings and evenings and it sets a golden hue upon the earth--Its all a gentle world of pastels and big skies,clear as a bell, home turns every color of Gods pallette. At this time its magical, in full daylight its hohum if youve driven it as many times as I have (several hundred).
California is mostly country and here you shoot through some of the farm towns at 70 mph: Williams, Colusa, Willows, Glenn. This is BIG rice country, flat as your hat but for the mountains that ring it it. More great motorcycling country, if you don't mind picking the bugs out of your teeth--big ones, too--some of the windshield roadkills must have been at least a couple lbs
Driving through the paddies has always been an experience for me, sure brings back memories. Theyre a LOT more fun to drive through than walk through, take THAT to el banco! I been broke down here also, thank God for cell phones. This is HUGE duck hunting territory, all you blasters, this is where you want to go.
I swing off the highway just below Willows and head east to Chico. There's nothing but padies here for about 40 miles untill you start getting close to Chico--then the Almond (ammind) orchards start appearing.
I lived in Chico all in the 80s, my son grew up there and my brother and his family live there also my exwife (#2).
I had to go to Chico to fill out a crime report. I'd lost my checkbook there on a previous visit, which was recovered but with some checks missing. Sure enough, they started turning up in Chico with my name forged on it for money. I'd canceled the acount, had it changed the day after it was lost, so I didn't lose any money but these people were coming to me demanding payment. Oh,like THATS really gonna happen!!! Prepare to live in disappointment is what I got to say about that!!
Anyhow, I had to go up and fill out a police report.
This took most of yesterday morning but they already know who it is--they got her on videotape passing at least one check. Some poor little crack freak, no doubt. Well, be that as it may, this person is forging my name on my checks and I want her in jail!!!
it was a good chance to hang with my family, though.
I drove back down yesterday afternoon, but its not so magical during bright sun light, though still very pretty. Reminds me of driving down the Front Range in Colorado, but mountains on both sides.
Lucky you live California, bra

James