The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2004, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DON'T MEAN NOTHIN'

But of course, it did. This was a phrase used to shrug off things that DID mean somethin', or to at least minimize them, or to defuse them. To bring things into perspective. A buffer. It was a universal phrase used in every unit, mostly by grunts. I don't know how or when it started, but it was in use in the 101st when I got there in JUN66.

I saw him go down about 20yds. from me. I heard that dull splat sound as the round hit him and I just knew he was dead, laying there in the elephant grass. A couple of gunships had shown up, lighting up Charlie, but we were still taking some small arms fire. The tracers from the gunship had set the grass on fire and it was spreading to where he was laying. All I remember thinking was that I didn't want his mother to see him all burned up, so I went after him. I ran in a crouch through the grass and found him. He had been shot once through the heart and he looked peaceful as hell. I grabbed him by the shirt collar and started running like hell, dragging him clear of the fire. DON'T MEAN NOTHIN'.

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:01 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2004, 08:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We said it many times. It shut off pain but only temporarily. It came back and stayed. Still there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1045809944_rocknroll1.jpg (13.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-27-2004, 09:10 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Unhappy Tom

I can hear the sound of that bullet and the fire. Can see the smoke coming at you and that peaceful body. Can feel that Army cotton shirt you grabed onto. Can smell the fire and sweat and the fear. Can taste your combat.

Welcome home kid.
Andy
Old 02-27-2004, 10:42 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Tom

In order to try and unburden ourselves at such times we had to try and believe that 'It don`t mean nothin`',or more frequently said in my outfit 'Don`t mean shit'.Your actions that day were honorable,Tom,and I`m proud to have you as a friend.

Peace,Griz
Old 02-28-2004, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 
Default Don't mean nothin'

It was still being said when I arrived in country Sept. 68'

We were in a short but fierce firefight , the third one in as many days , and took an NVA Major prisoner ( at least he was wearing a Maj.'s uniform ).
There was a LZ nearby so a chopper was called to come get the POW. We setup a defensive perimeter while Willie guided in the helicopter. The POW was picked up and the chopper had just cleared the treetops when the LZ erupted with an explosion and we started getting SA fire. The NVA had command detonated a 250 LB. bomb they had buried under the LZ. There was nothing left of Willie except a piece of his boot.

Don't mean nothin'

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 02-28-2004, 02:54 PM

Don't mean nothing, I have a combat incident to relate that happened on March 16th, 1968. Will do so on March 16th, 2004 Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Bad anniversary date.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default DMN

First time I heard this is when I got my job at LTs RTO.

I was in country for a week, maybe two and we get into a small frickus. The LTs RTO gets hit in his right upper chest area, The radio exploded he went down like a ton of shit. After the bullits stopped and the medivac arrived, The RTO walked to the chopper. He sat down on the edge and told the LT, DON'T MEAN NOTHIN, As the chopper took off. The LT gave me one of the Squads radios and said I was His RTO, A year latter I left.
DON"T MEAN NOTHIN.

Ron
Old 02-29-2004, 05:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy DAMN

When I returned to Nam in FEB68, we had found out that Kath was expecting just before I had left. When I was finally able to request an R&R, I was in Cam Ranh Bay and Kath and I decided that we wanted to meet in Hawaii in JUL or AUG. She was due the end of SEP. When she talked to her doctor about it, he told her that he didn't want to risk her flying such a distance that far into the pregnancy. We were REALLY disappointed. I didn't take an R&R at all. Our son, R. Scott, was born 29SEP68. They had to take him by an emergency C-section when Kath began to bleed profusely. It was nip-n-tuck for both of them for a time. The Red Cross finally notified me that both of them were fine. Scott would be 3mos. old before I get to meet him. DON'T MEAN NOTHIN'.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Holding my Grandbaby tonight it means something. Peace brothers.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Homey,
This thread had me kinda back in the jungle.
Thanks Opa , for getting me out of the bush and putting things in perspective with what really counts.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee