The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boots

I 1967 our unit got issued some new jugle boots. They had a steel plate in the bottom to repel punjy stakes. Some units had them way before us, I didn't know anything about punjy stakes so I didn't care one way or another. We had a guy step into a hole shortly after that and he got his ankle cut and had to be e-vacd. I looked in the hole and the sticks were kida crushed except for the ones on the outside of the pit, One had blood on it. I was glade to have the New boots after that.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I remember the Army told us the jungle boots would have a metal plate on the bottom but I always wondered if they really did. I went through several pairs of boots [which we had to liberate] Even though I never had to walk much they just seemed to rot away. The Vietnam wanaabe lrrp I used to work with came in with a brand new pair a few years back. I asked him how they stayed in such good condition over the 30 years. He said the lrrps had one for the feild and kept another for the base camp. Ok hummmm [They must sell them in Army surplus stores]
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Default They are sold in Army Surplus stores

The one's that are sold now are cheap knock-offs made in China. I'm sure there is no metal plate in them.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

I bought a pair at the army surplus store out by fort lewis for $49.99 brand new and used them for hunting season but the size's are wrong these were real big and I had to use thick wool socks to fill them in right but the price was right and I had warm feet.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve
Just before leaving Vietnam I DXed a pair and carried back a new pair of Jungle boots of which I still have. Along the top are a few numbers. one of which is "67" I can only assume it was the year
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 12-15-2005, 06:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: They are sold in Army Surplus stores

Quote:
Originally posted by MontanaKid The one's that are sold now are cheap knock-offs made in China. I'm sure there is no metal plate in them.
Youre dam right about being cheap chinese knockoffs. I bought a pair to use as work boots in the summer a while ago and they fell apart quicker than Harriet Myers nomination.
But here's a classic Made In China story: Tommy just brought me back from Vietnam a US Airborne paratroopers hat with jump wings on it--made in China. Guess the war is over.
I just looked at the label on the flannel shirt I'm wearing--bought in target. Made in Kenya.. If anyones wondering what happened to the American textile and clothing iindustry go look at the labels in WALmart and Target
Stay good
James
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

Just comin' back to the South in April and I can show you around to all the closed textile mills. Sad, isn't it. When I find something made in the USA anymore, I'm about floored. I remember when I would see something MADE IN JAPAN and wonder, who'd buy that shit.

Now, there are some places that carry real American Made Jungle Boots. They usually carry both kinds. One is cheaper and will say IMPORTED, the other is more expensive but they supposedly are same same we had. Check out Ranger Joes in Columbus Ga, or U.S. Cavalry store, which I think is in like Kentucky.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Doc.2/47

My old jungle boots ended up leading to about 15 yrs. in the USAR.

In aprox. '71 or '72 I was injuried in what could loosely be termed a hunting accident. Spent a little time in the Nashville VA Hosp. ER. While there it turned out that one of the folks working on me was also a VN vet with the same MOS. He had noticed my old boots and after talking awhile he convinced me to sign up with the Reserve.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hal,

VA musta given you some really good drugs for you to do that!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Doc.2/47

Paco-

Nope. Weren't drugs; it was that other reason why somewhat sane folks go a little soft in the head-a female. In this particular case she was a young and lovely female resident with a set of truly georgious..uh...atributes.

I had managed to acquire a penitrating wound of the right hip. Me and this other poor sap who had made the mistake of putting a loaded shotgun in the back of his pickup while he moved to another hunting area (went off and blew all the way through the truckbed and the cab,and into his tender backside)had been placed on a pair of treatment tables where we lay with our bare and bloody butts exposed to God and pretty much anybody else who happened to wander through to view and snicker at. To add insult to insult to injury we were in the process of being "interviewed" by a Metro detective who had apparently been sent to asertain if we had actually been trying to attempt suicide. This interview took a very long time because of his tendency to break into uncontrolable laughter about every other question.(highly unprofessional if you ask me)

Into this chaos came the vision of lovliness and grace mentioned above who proceded to play with my butt. Or treat my injury. For my part it was love at first sight and I was determined-following some swave and debonaire banter-to ask her out. My plan didn't go all that well. About every time I came up with something witty to say she'd probe my wound and I'd totally forget what I was about to say. She probed the wound,inserted a drain,sewed in the drain, and gave me a couple of shots and I still hadn't gotten past "You know, you are realaaahhhhHHHOW!"

The male nurse mentioned in my other post happened to mention that his USAR unit-a Med. Clr. Co.-frequently worked at that hosp.
I LIKED the idea of having her as a co-worker.

I never saw her again.

Some while later I was issued a brand new pair of jungleboots and a brand new jungle somewhere in Panama.