The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2003, 09:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Live from Oahu, it's EXLRRP!!!

Lrrpie's Honolulu Blog

Well, here I am, bras, trying to contact you from the other side.
Landed Honolulu 11:15 Am Mondayand after getting the car (Chrysler Sebring covertible) immediately went down to Ala Moana Park to get my feet wet.
HI got the best ocean water in America, bluest, warmest nicest--it's what I miss about Hawaii the most. During the 2 years I lived here, I really started thinking of myself as a Hawaiian, a feeling that always stuck.
Put the top down on the Vertible and cruise down the Nimitz freeway to downtown, the docks, Aloha Tower.
Top down, Cuck Mangione on the CD ("Feel so Good!") the lrrpster cruises the 'lulu once more. Diamond in de back, sunroof top, digging the scene with a gangster lean, oh yes.
I go by where I used to live--Beretania close by Ward. The old Victorian I lived in is broke down now for some kind of store. There were these 4 little old Victorians behind a little appliance store--a little island of country right downtown with huge mango trees--the lrrpster ate all the mangoes he wanted, which was lots. My nearest neighbor to the west, 2 blocks was the governor. It was parking hell, though. Now the main police station is built right across the street
Things change you go away bra
The times i lved here--!975-76-- was some halcyon times for yr boy all right, Times were so bad I had to quit drinking and taking drugs to make it.I was in 2 wrecks, almost died in one. That was the end of my Post War Early Blue Period
First I was a fisherman, then I got into SCUBA diving here, ultimately became a professional diver (it's what I was doing in Louiiisisana 77-78) Spent a lot of time on the water.

I come and stay here with my friends Scott and Leslie, they are 2 of the greatest people you ever met. got Scott his first job fishing--now he owns 2 fishing boats and is the head of the Pacific Longliners Association, a fishemans advocacy group, whioch he started.
They had a nice home before but the one they have now is nothing short of spectacular--I'll be posting pictures of it--I mean the 360 deg killer view of Kaneohe and the Nuuana Pali, pool, 3 hottubs with Jacuzzis (got my own,) weight room, home office. Spectacular--the nicest home of anyone I know here. I have the run of the place. Monday nigh went down and sank my teeth into bout the nicest piece of prime rib--the legendary 2" thick at Haleiwa Joes (the one in Kaneohe, not the one in Haleiwa) Their Haleiwa restaurant is pretty but the Kaneohe one is gorgeous--they have weddings there
Haleiwa Joe's and Sammy Choy's are the 2 best restaurants in HI, IMHO for the money and the food
Yesterday, drove the vertible up to the North Shore. This is THE must see drive on Oahu--north from Kaneohe up the east side--the scenery is drop dead gorgeous--flowering hibiscus set against the bluest sky, the bluest water and huge forbidding lava cluffs that run all the way down to the sea.
This is the back side of Oahu, the ones most people never see. The little towns with the funny names like Kaaawa (Kah ah ahva)
Laie (Lye ay) Haleiwa (ha lay EE Va) Kahuku, Pupukea, the little old chuches, the schools--these are fast disappearing but still there. I really believe that if you took all the people off all the islands, Oahu would be the prettiest
I stopped at the kahuku sugar mills to take pictures--I worked on the refurbishing of this plac into a mall in 1976--now its shabby again. There is a 175' smokestack we contracted to but a cap on--that was an intersting experience just getting up there.
The North Shore of Oahu--No Ka Oi!! (there is no other like it!)
Just gorgeous. I drove by myself top down from the east of it (sunset beach) to the west of it (Kaena point) out by Dilling ham airfield--this was where I made my last parachute jump--1993. After that I retired undefeated.
Theyre still sky diving there. This was the field those pilots raced up to during Pearl Harbor and got their planes up in the air, the only 2 American fighters up tht day.
Picnic Lunch at Haleiwa beach Park--salami on foccacia with mangoes afterward, let the juice run down my face--then into the water to wash off.
Went snorkeling at Shark's Cove--like being in a big aquarium--the water was a little murky from the Northen Swell but just swimming in this water is like being in another world.
Took some underwater pics will post them for you, Larry, when I get back

All for now, will blog later

james
Old 09-24-2003, 10:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default James,...

...good to hear your enjoying yourself,...

...go to the 32 nd floor of the Hilto, tapa tower, and take me a picture overlooking the pool,(use your good lenes),... ...

was there in 84, and there is no other place on earth like it, stayed at the Sheridan on Maui, overlooking a 50' drop into the bluest water anywhere, the yacht club was off to the right, and Kanalapali (SP) park was "the" most beautiful golf course I ever shot (can't afford golf, and it too slow),...

...say hello to Don Ho,..........

..."C"...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I was stationed there for 3 years 74-77. We were there at the same time.

Check out the beach at Fort DeRussy.

I got the worst sunburn of my life there when I sat under the palm trees.

The military museum is down near downtown Honolulu at Fort Derussy if you're interested. The sound effects and memories kept me out of the Vietnam War section.

Unless you know someone with military ID, you won't be able to eat at the best restaurant in Hawaii for both quality and price. It is the Hale Koa Room at the Hale Koa Hotel at Fort DeRussy.

I took Joy there for our honeymoon. We had 10 days in February. We were nice and called home to check on the family.

Go to the Valley of the Temples (if you haven't). The Buddhist temple there will let anyone make a donation and ring the bell to send your prayer to heaven. We need all the prayers we can get. Ringing the bell brought me a feeling of peace.

Darrel
Old 09-25-2003, 04:38 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Way to go James! Now you need to get some babes at the beach to strike a pose with you. I'm thinking something like Paul Newman/Cool hand Luke. You are a long way from sitting on sharp rocks to stay awake. I'm proud for you.

Chilidog
Old 09-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Wednesday

Took a ride with Scott around the south side of the island this time--Waimanalo, Makapuu, Sandy, Beach
The swell, what there is of it, is coming from the north so the east side--Waimanalo and Makapuu--was flat as yr hat. Caught some waves at Sandy body surfing and boogie boarding but its really hard here, the waves throw you around.
Makapuu is the worlds champion body surfing beach, and a mmighty pretty one it is too but when there aint no waves there aint no waves.
Drove around the back side of Diamond head and then down the Ala Wai canal to kalakaua, then cruised down Waikiki. There's a little bar and grill call the Shore Bird thats right on the beach and I always like to go down there and have a drink (O Douls) and watch all the fatass whitefolks broiling in the sun. You don't see any locals here (the best place for local girl watching--Makapuu, after 3:30 when the schools let out)
Waiikiki is the tourist place but its still worth seeing. This is the place people come to from all over the world and its a great place for people watching and I mean EVERY kind of people. Surf was pretty flat so there wasn't much surfing going on.
We did go by Ft De Russy but not in the museum--Scott stayed here briefly when he transferred to HI in 1971. Its right by the Hale Koa which is the GI Hotel--does my benefits card get me in here??
Cruised around Waikiki and then Honolulu and then went out to see the Missouri. I had never been here before but Scott had taken his grandkids there before(he's an Army vet, a medic who spent his whole time here at Tripler Army Hospital)
The Missouri is impressive!!!We walked all over the whole thing, took an hour. They brought it here in 1998 I had been to the Arizona monument which is right next door and very sad but the Missouri is WAY impressive. I mean those 16" guns must be 100' long. I stood right at the spot where they signed the peace treaty--there's a plaque there-- and I felt like I was part of it.

Then home to the Windward Side for a dip in the pool, a hottub/Jacuzzi and a delicious dinner made by Scott's lovely wife Leslie who is also one of my best friends.

better than staying awake by sitting on a sharp rock, you betcha

Aloha for now, will blog again soon. Can't post the pictures untill I get back.

James

PS Friscokid as "moderator??" best bring extra magazines (LOL)
Old 09-25-2003, 08:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I went TDY to Hickam 4 times and absolutely loved Hawaii. Those polynesian gals had the smoothest skin. I don't know what the club fashions are now but back then the girls wore a flower-patterned bikini top with a matching, hip-hugging, ankle length, slit-to-the-hip skirt and high heel sandals. God, were they hot!! I remember dancing a couple of fast numbers with this one babe, then, when the music slowed, she just put her arms around my neck and those wonderful hips moved with such a magic rythmn. Her long black hair, so soft and scented with hibiscus...excuse me, guys, I've got some, ahem, "remembering" to take care of!!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking James!

James I still love ya! Even though you are making me green with envy!
Have a great time and enjoy yourself.

Keith
Old 09-25-2003, 06:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool JAMES!

You know I'm happy for ya, Bro. And jealous. Bring me back a hula girl. Well, okay. A Crazy Shirt will do. XXL. The shirt, not the hula girl .

Have only been to HI twice. Going to, and coming from Japan to see son, Scott. Kath worked for Continental Airlines at the time, and we were flying stand-by. It was her "Vacation Pass," so it was FREE. Could be bumped up to Business First if available. We flew coach from the mainland to HI. Full plane. Once there, we kept getting bumped for connecting flight to Japan. Seems like half of Japan vacations in HI. We spent the night and the rest of the next day out at Waikiki. Kath got an airline employee discount at one of the Outrigger Hotels. $35 right on the beach. We finally got a flight late the next day. In coach, again.

Coming back from Japan to HI, we get Business First. Nice. Real nice. Especially on a long haul like that. In HI we get bumped somemore, and spend 2 days there. Gee, that's too bad . We rented a car and saw some of the sites, Pearl Harbor being my favorite. Flew coach home, but that's okay. The price was RIGHT .
Old 09-26-2003, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great descriptiveness, James!

I was at the Honolulu Airport for four hours. It was Freedom Bird time.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:04 PM

Default Fast Eddie's

Did you make it there (Kailua)? Nobody over 50 allowed (except at your own risk). Go next door to Zippy's and get some Zip Min or pigs feet soup.