The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2002, 05:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I'm a bit P.o.ed at the moment!! Voting is a sacred duty!

I had an argument with my boss yesterday. I told him I was going to be late because I had to vote in the morning since I had to take care of my mother in the evening. Well he got a bit miffed. Which in turn aggravated me. There are many things important to me, two of them are the right to vote and my family.

I don't know what it is and maybe I'm imagining it, but it appears to me that those who served take voting seriously. Those who didn't don't seem to care. I don't mean to paint with a broad brush but of my acquaintances that seems to be the way it shakes out.

My boss gives you a black mark wheneever you are late. 5 marks means a lousy review and a small raise. I pointed out to him that company policy allowed you to come in two hours late or leave two hours early in order to vote. He wants me to make up any time I missed.

As it was, it was not a big deal. at 6 AM the line was short, I was #6 to vote in my district today and I was only 15 minutes late to work. BUT it still galls me that he thinks getting to work on time on election day was more important. By the way, he did not serve a day in the military.

Bill D.

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 AM

Tamaroa,

Some companies will let you slide on voting day where others will make you toll the line. Don't let it bother you. You did your bit I did mine as well. But I'm always 1.5 hours early to work and one hour late getting out. I like early because I can get some personal things done at work and I can go on the WEB to chat with nice people like you all.

Not being x-military doesn't make him/her a jerk but it does make you look at them in a different light when you're x-military yourself I know.

Take care and have a fresh cup of coffee.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-05-2002, 06:59 AM

I voted in Cherry Hill this morning and it was like being in a 3d world country. Seems that every machine in Cherry Hill had a stuck lever (Bernie Platt, the Democratic Candidate for Mayor) so we had to vote using a paper ballot. When I signed in on the voters register I noticed that my sign in line had subtle differences from others on the same page, was that to identify me as a Non-Democrat registered voter? My girlfriend who is a registered democrat (who votes Republican) did not have the same marks on her sign in sheet. I also noticed that they had two different red canvas pouches for collecting the envelops, is one of them going to dissapear before the votes are counted?
In case you are interested.....those folks who had all the trouble voting in Florida during the last election were Cherry Hill transplants who went to florida to retire.

On another note, a guy who works for me called in this morning to tell me that he was going to stop off at his doctors office and would be late. I told him to go and vote after he gets done with the doctor, and not to worry about when he got in.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:04 AM

Hey guys,

These elections they local, state or feral I mean federal???
Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 AM

Wazza
The elections are all the above. Local, state and federal.

Tamoroa, how did you get to vote at 6 AM? Our poles don't open until 7 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Dry,

in NY they open at 6 AM. I was the 6th person in the district to vote. It went pretty quick that time in th AM! They record the order in which the voter arrives. There were 4 people monitoring the booth when I got there. I was out by 6:20.

We had local, state and federal candidates today. We need a new Congressman since they gerrymandered Rockland County and turned what once was a piece of one district into three districts spread out over several counties.

Regards,

Bill D.

King John 2.1.466
Old 11-05-2002, 08:11 AM

My mistake, now that I think about it, I think its up to local officials as to when they can open. I always hear about some little New England town, Beaver Lick Falls or something, that opens its pole at midnight.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Speaking about elections....

Has anyone heard anything from Marinevet on how the elections for sheriff of Onslow County are going? I got a thank-you note from him yesterday for my campaign contribution but there was no information from Wayne on how the polls were looking.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MarineVet and Onslow County

MarineVet and I keep in touch but he's been so busy lately. According to one poll a while back, he had a slight lead but who knows. I'm sure we will hear soon. Gonna be a long night in Onslow County, NC. Heard a bunch of people moved from N.J. to Onslow County yesterday. Wonder if that will screw things up?

Dragon lives in Raleigh, maybe he can up date us. He's about the closest to him.

Packo

PS Murph...just emailed the skipper but sure he ain't at work today. Asked him to update us ASAP.

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-05-2002, 12:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Some States have a law on the books

That it is a persons right to vote and the employer has to give you time off to vote with pay.

I guess you don't live in one of those states.

Keith