The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2002, 06:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Red face A Breath Of Fresh Air!!!

I love the candid informality and banter that is to be had upon this site. The camaraderie, and sense of humor that stretches all the way from the Channel Islands to the Barrier Reef, is also an absolute delight, even for an old fart like me!!

Some of the names here-in are familiar to me, while others are new amigos. The wisdom, the candor and the serious attention to issues (when needs must), is also as refreshing as a breeze over the Sierras. Hell, and I even got educated on the multiple plus factors of a six pack or two of good Australian beer, Fosters no doubt!?

I look forward to many a challenging and entertaining (international) discussion and debate upon this site. I also feel that maybe Wazza has hit on something with that beer thing! Maybe they should set up a boozer (bar) at the UN (if they already don?t have one that is)? It just might loosen up some of those stuffed shirts in attendance. Or if nothing else, maybe they (after a few frothy, ice-cold tankard) would settle their problems right there and then, in shop!

?Helluva an idea there?- turning the United Nations into a barroom, rather than the bordello that it currently is - ?Don?t ya think?!?

Hey Recon, what was that ?Old Irish Drinking Song? again?

VERITAS

Old 10-08-2002, 11:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HARDCORE...

Hey: "Old fart" (you said it) and/or Old Buddy, about that; "Irish drinking song", I'm not to sure it's actually Irish. I was once led to believe that The Garry Owen originated and was used by some oldtime Scottish Highlands Cavalry Regiment. I could be wrong.

Though, and since The Scots too have been known to drop a dram or two at times, I guess that in the whole scheme of things such truly doesn't matter much?

Still, and what did matter to me about The Garry Owen, was when my wife a little while back dragged me to the movies (normally satisfied with tapes or TV) to see My Alma Mater in action at: "LZ-Exray" in the new movie; "We Were Soldiers".

Even though the the entire movie, and quite some donneybrook also, was about: "Those Garry Owen Boys" (term used by accompaning correspondent at LZ-Exray), I never heard The Garry Owen played once.

Hell Friend, to me such nonsense was as if in the old war movie: "Halls of Montezuma", some Producer or Director wisely decided to not have The Marine Corps Hymn played as part of The Movie, which would've been just as stupid even if not liking Marines very much, as was quite common for: "The A-Troop".

Regardless, and music or lack of same aside, it still was one-helluva-movie. The sadness at seeing so many brave people being killed and wounded, It still made me glad I decided to take my discharge, become domesticated, and not reinlist after 3 years. After all, a 50-50 chance of survival, certainly aren't the type odds I would have liked gambling on.

Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote