The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Another Anniversary--Another day of Mourning:

Today marks the thirty-seventh anniversary of the death of my best Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish. He died aboard the Hospital Ship Sanctuary, just two days short of his twentieth birthday; after being wounded toward the end of August 1968. He was a Navy Corpsman and assigned to the Marine 3rd Military Police Battalion, when he sustained his wounds.

He had attempted to cross an open small arms fire swept field, while going to the assistance of two wounded Marines. In the process of crossing that field, and before reaching the Marines, Alan had been wounded, by shrapnel from an exploding hand grenade, in both of his legs. His wounds were serious, but not life threatening at that time. Alan chose not to stop and give himself First Aid, although an open crater was nearby in which he could have easily done so. Instead he dragged himself to the location of the two Marines, being unable to run any further. Upon reaching the Marines, Alan then used his own body to shield the Marines from small arms fire that was still being directed toward them. In so doing he was then repeatedly struck in the lower torso area. In spite of his newest wounds, Alan still thought of the Marines condition first, rather then his own, and started to administer First Aid to those Marines. He continued to do so until passing out from lack of blood and Shock. When they were able to be reached, Alan was barely alive and draped over the Marines. His body had definitely spared the Marines from further incoming fire. For his act of Heroism, Alan was Posthumously awarded the Navy Cross and Purple Heart.

Even after thirty-seven years, I still remember his friendship very vividly and continue to mourn his loss. He was more like a Brother to me, then a good friend. Each September 7, my grief overcomes me and I know that I will never forget him, or this date. As I am writing this, Sandstorms are starting to form in my eyes and I can hardly see just what I am typing. Must be dust in the air!

As part of handling my grief, I thought that I would use this Forum in an attempt to keep Alan's memory alive. I was hoping that others would also like to remember Alan in their own way. He was a great guy and always willing to help others before thinking of himself. His name appears on panel #45 West, last name on the right side, about four rows up from the bottom, on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Rest In Peace Buddy:

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links