Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2003, 10:16 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Interesting Facts About Cola

I received this from "OOFUN.COM"

Thought you guys might enjoy it!!!!

Mrs. Hardcore

To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coke into the toilet. Let it sit for one hour, then flush clean.

To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coke.

To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coke over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coke to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coke into the baking pan; wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coke will help loosen grease stains.

It will also clean road haze from your windshield!

In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

Now this just FREAKS me out:

There was a competition in Delhi University: "Who can drink the most Coke?". The winner drank 8 bottles and died on the spot because he had too much carbon dioxide in the blood and not enough oxygen. YIKES!

If you put a broken tooth in a bottle of Pepsi, in 10 days it will fully dissolve!

Old 08-07-2003, 10:33 AM

Oh well, another habit that will eventually kill me

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Mrs. HC

I too had heard (seen) these interesting suggestions in the past, but most do not apply to the Coke of today. The latest formula has less than 1/2 the carbonation of the coke of the 1960's and 70's. Also, there is much less sugar and other ingedients that permitted Coke to dissolve corrosion on battery terminals, lossen grease, etc. Today, if you pour Coke on corroded battery terminals, all you'll get is a smelly mess which attracts a lot of flies. Also, the aluminum foil and Coke on a bemper today will simply scratch the paint off !
I do remember the days when you could use Coke for a variety of uses besides quenching your thirst. Of course, thinking back on those "other uses", I'm glad I switched to Dr. Pepper !!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 PM

Take a Raw Pork Chop and sit it on a tree stump or the ground, and then pour a whole can of Coke on it.

Go back and check it in about 30 minutes.

It will turn your mind from Coke and Pork.

Best way to clean your battery posts is MONTHLY MAINTENANCE with the wire brush and terminal cleaner.

CNN Had a few notes about Cola the other day.

Did you know that drinking Cola in the Heat of the day can and will ( most likely) cause Cancer of the skin. They said drink water. The cola has something to do with the Caffine in it.

enough............
Old 08-07-2003, 02:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Acids vs bases is the deal

A mild base solution like a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of water is a lot better than coke for cleaning all kinds of stuff including battery terminals, bugs on the bumper, blood spatters, etc., and probably a lot less expensive. Plus a teaspoon of baking soda in a warm glass of water can really KO heartburn but be prepared to burp for a bit and don?t make a habit of it. But it works great in a pinch when the pepto bottle turns up empty.

Scamp
Old 08-07-2003, 02:45 PM

What a Navy Guy - knows all the tricks don't tell them everything we learned in the Navy.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-08-2003, 02:53 AM

Default Hardcore

Where 'ya been all your life? We were doing experiments like that with Coke way back in High School Chemistry before Vietnam. :ek:
Old 08-08-2003, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ya Boats, for sure. Navy life is just plum full of stuff about reacting acids and basses, resulting salts, etc., especially in the Boatswains Mate rate. But I?ll keep my mouth shut about Naval Jelly as we wouldn?t want that secret to slip out.

Scamp
Old 08-08-2003, 08:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Naval jelly?

I thought that's what the old submariners got 'cause they couldn't bathe much?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Nope Dan, but good try. It has to do with minimizing oxidization corrosion but I?ll say no more lest I risk being beat around the head and shoulders and pitched over the fantail by Boats.

Scamp