The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Don't listen to these fellers! Cookeville is about 30,000 population and has Tennessee Tech there. It is a damn good engineering school and wins high in the annual concrete boat and alternate fuel vehicle competition. Crossville is probably better to retire in. Fairfield Glade is one of several retirement Communities. There is lots of golf and that kind of stuff. Plus, believe it or not, Cherokee Lodge, a clothing optional resort. It has been a blessing for the area preachers in giving them plenty of fuel for sermons. Both Crossville and Cookeville are on the Cumberland Plateau and is a little flat for my tastes but I do have a sister and all her descendants there. Quite a few people have retired to my area in upper East Tennessee. I live at the top right tip of the parallelogram. For football, University of Tennessee is about 75 miles from here. The Bristol NASCAR track is about 50 miles from here. There are TVA lakes all around, both warm water and cool water. Walleye get very big in some of our lakes. South Holston River is one of the best trout streams in the USA (40 miles), There is whitewater rafting (30 miles), snow skiing in the mountains of Western North Carolina (60miles). The Great Smoky Mountains,with Gatlinburg and Dollywood are about 70 miles. Johnson City has ETSU and the Medical and newly started Pharmacy Schools, Mountain Home VA Hospital (20 miles). Jonesborough has the International Headquarters of Storytelling and has a weeklong festival in October with visitors from all over the world (9 miles). There is plenty of history going back to the French and Indian War. This is the land of the Cherokee, Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. The particular area I live in is part of the most seceding area in the USA. The Regulators, part of a tax rebellion in 1760 North Carolina came here and set up the first independent government by English speaking people in North America with the Watauga Compact. After they whipped the English at the Battle of King's Mountain and turned the Revolutionary War around they became part of North Carolina. After the war they decided to form their own state and so set up the "Lost State of Franklin". North Carolina didn't like this much and refused to release us so we ended up with two state governments in the same place doing the same things. If you are a coin collector, no coins have ever been found from the Stateof Franklin Mint. It came to a head at the Battle of Tipton-Haynes farm the only battle in the war between Franklin and North Carolina. Any way, it ended up we became Tennessee after that. Cept there was some antislavery movement around here, including the first anti slavery newspaper. Once again it was tried to secede from Tennessee but it got nowhere. Meanwhile, Davy Crockett got mad at Andrew Jackson for his removal of the Cherokee and the other Five Civilized Tribes. So he said, "you can go to hell, I'm going to Texas. And he did and ended up at the Alamo. Come the Civil War, East Tennessee gave more volunteers to the Union cause than the state of Massachusetts and tried to secede from Tennessee. So they sent General Longstreet down here, the only area in the Civil War to be invaded from the north by Confederates. He remained until he was run out of here by the great General Burnside. Meanwhile about a third of my county decided to hell with all this and formed it's own country, Brickers Republic, thereby seceding from everything on the planet Earth. They had their own Presidnet and Congress, even their own ambassador to England. I can see him now, riding away on his mule asking, "Skuse me, feller, which away is England?" But it faded away and we are pretty tame now except for UT football and NASCAR.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Capt Juan Pardo? Guess when he retired from the Spanish Army he got a job on T.V. announcing for the Price is Right.

Tennessee is a great state and I am absolutely in love w/Doc Fred's AO......except for his winters.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Appreciate your Replies

Thanks for all the information. I know the area is beautiful and the fishing and hunting are great. Kinda think it would be unAmerican to retire anyplace where the hunting and fishing weren't great.
Problem I have is, I joined the Navy 1965 in La Porte, Texas and since then I have lived here in South Texas longer then I have anywhere since joining the Navy. Now I have to look for ward to buying or building a home in a place I have never been and have no idea about the cost of living or the housing market. I figure the housing market is fair and cost of living is similar to here in south Texas.
I reckon since I have till Jan 2009, I will just visit and check the area a little closer. Sounds like I need to check out that clothing place. Ain't dead just old and near sighted. LOL
Thanks Fellars
theemperor
Old 02-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Quote:
Meanwhile about a third of my county decided to hell with all this and formed it's own country, Brickers Republic, thereby seceding from everything on the planet Earth.

That just cracks meup! I love it Doc! Sounds like my kinda county! You don't know how many times in a week I say "Stop the world! I want toget off!" This place is way to busy for me! Sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-26-2006, 12:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Archeologists just found the ruins of Juan Pardo's fort over in Morganton, NC. Yep, he's pretty old, Tom. I think he was even on Laugh In. We are in the top five or ten places in the US for golf according to Golf Digest and we have a bear hunting season. Can't beat that. Plus the cost of living is kind of middle if I had to guess. http://www.tricityareaproperties.com...?ag_id=1322299
We are near the Appalachian Trail: http://hiking.chattanooga.net/reportroan.htm
Old 02-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking I believe?

I believe Tennessee has a town named after me?

Keith