The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2006, 06:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The Lying Press: no surprise

Newsweek: Rush Limbaugh 'Arrest' Reports Were Bogus

All weekend long news broadcasts were filled with reports that talk radio host Rush Limbaugh had been "arrested" on charges of doctor shopping as part of a plea bargain worked out with his lawyer. But - as even the liberal newsmagazine, Newsweek, admitted - the "arrest" reports were bogus.

"LIMBAUGH ARRESTED was the immediate headline on the wires and on TV," the magazine said in Monday's edition. "But the word 'arrest' was misleading."

"In fact, Limbaugh had pleaded not guilty, and his lawyer had worked out a deal that would cause the single charge to be dropped after 18 months as long as Limbaugh stayed out of trouble and continued to see a doctor who has helped him with an addiction to painkillers."

Still, the rest of the press did its level best to portray Limbaugh's voluntary trip to the Palm Beach County jail for a mugshot as if John Dillinger had just been apprehended.

"RUSH LIMBAUGH ARRESTED ON PRESCRIPTION DRUG CHARGE," blared the CNN headline Friday night.

ABC's "World News Tonight" began its coverage of the Limbaugh case dismissal with Elizabeth Vargas announcing: "Rush Limbaugh, one of the most popular and influential radio talk show hosts in America, was arrested in West Palm Beach today. The charges involve allegations of prescription drug fraud."

The actual mugshot belied the "arrest," reports, showing a beaming Limbaugh clearly delighted over finally winning his case.

Other reporters went out of their way to paint the talk host as a common street drug user, noting a 1995 statement where Limbaugh said he favored jail for illegal drug users.

Newsweek was one of the few to note that the top talker's addiction had nothing to do with recreational drug use - but was instead prompted by intense back pain.

"Limbaugh's drug problems began after he made a medical choice to try to preserve his radio voice . . . . The doctors wanted to go in through the back of his mouth, but Limbaugh was worried about his vocal cords. A different procedure was performed, and Limbaugh's suffering did not go away. He began to take pain pills in ever-larger numbers."

The prosecutor's office leaked claims to the press that Limbaugh took thousands of pills -- suggesting not only a severe addiction but that Rush was manipulating his doctors -- "doctor shopping" -- to abuse his medications.

But Rush's medical records, ones turned over to state prosecutors, showed that the doctor shopping claim was a sham.

In July of 2005, Black detailed Rush's use of prescription drugs as detailed in his medical records: "The prescription records that are in the search warrant affidavits should be put in perspective. Of the 2,130 pills prescribed, only 1,863 were painkillers, and of those only 1,733 were for hydrocodone. These were to be taken over a period of 217 days, from the date of the first prescription until 30 days from the date of the last prescription. The dose averages out to a little over eight pills a day, which is not excessive and is in fact a lawful dose.

"Ninety-two percent of the pain medication was prescribed by two doctors who were treating Mr. Limbaugh for back pain. They work in the same office from the same medical file, and there could be no doctor shopping between them. One of these doctors also prescribed 117 pills of a drug used to treat high blood pressure or to help wean patients off of painkillers.

"The other two doctors are the California surgeon who implanted the cochlear implant to restore Mr. Limbaugh's hearing and a Florida doctor he was seeing for follow up on the surgery. Of the 180 pills prescribed by the surgeon, 100 were vitamin pills. Of the 110 pills prescribed by the fourth doctor, 50 were non-painkillers prescribed for tinnitus, ringing in the ears.

"The bottom line is that these prescription records might tell a story, but it is not a story of doctor shopping. We continue to believe that Mr. Limbaugh is being pursued by overzealous prosecutors and that he should not be charged with any crime."

In fact, when news of the conservative talker's pain pill addiction first hit the National Enquirer in Oct. 2003, Palm Beach County prosecutor James Martz said going after low-level prescription drug users like Limbaugh was a waste of time.

Still, his office pursued the case as if they were prosecuting the Cali cartel. Friday's dismissal showed that Martz had it right the first time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Interesting quote

"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Interesting quote Brice--does that mean youre against waving the Rebel flag and any adherence to it and its cause? It was, after all, the flag of the cause that killed more American soldiers than all other enemies combined.
have a nice day
James
Old 05-16-2006, 09:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

It is difficult for me to believe that you are so unread when it comes to my posts that you would suppose that I have ever waved, thought of waving, or vaguely countenanced the waving of the Rebel flag. On more than one occasion, I mentioned that Sam Houston was one of my personal heroes, for among other reasons, he was opposed to secession, opposed to slavery, while maintaining a reasonable position on state's rights.

And what does the Rebel flag have to do with the bogus charges levelled against Rush Limbaugh? Do you have Attention Deficit Disorder?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 05-27-2006, 07:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperScout James,

It is difficult for me to believe that you are so unread when it comes to my posts that you would suppose that I have ever waved, thought of waving, or vaguely countenanced the waving of the Rebel flag. On more than one occasion, I mentioned that Sam Houston was one of my personal heroes, for among other reasons, he was opposed to secession, opposed to slavery, while maintaining a reasonable position on state's rights.

And what does the Rebel flag have to do with the bogus charges levelled against Rush Limbaugh? Do you have Attention Deficit Disorder?
Brice
Yeah I sorta do when it comes to your posts, definitely don't read them all or even most of them, theyre all so repetitive:hate democrats, Love Republicans, first last and always. A definite one trick pony, you are, if nothing else, very very consistent.
Actually I was just amazed at finding a point of agreement, Houston is one of my heroes also for the same reason, as is Pap Thomas. I feel the same way about the Rebel Flag too.
But as for your defense of Limbaugh: Limbaugh CONFESSED TO A CRIME, he was booked into the jail with the same smile Delay had when he was booked into jail. That is an arrest by any standards whether he walked into the place willingly or not.The fact that they were released later still doesn't negate it as an arrest for a crime that he later confessed to. Remember George Bush being booked into jail forthe CRIME 0f Drunk driving? You said he was fined and released but it turns out he was BAILED OUT AND released, then had to come back and get his license suspended for 21 months as his record plainly shows(see below)
Bush then drove all that time with a suspended license, didn't he? There's nothing in his bios about having Laura drive him around for almost 2 years anyway.
You don't mention all the facts. Youre apologia only mentions the 8 (?) OxyContins a day legally but not the 15 or more daily he was taking illegally. It also doesn't say that he was paying his housecleaner to go score them for him illegally--thats part of what he confessed to when he admitted guilt.
23+ full force OxyContins a day would make anyone sound like a blubbering idiot which is what I always thought he sounded like.
I knew back when I listened to him in the 90s that the man was stoned out of his mind and it turns out I was 100% right--the conservatives, of course just lapped it up like Republicans chowing down at the public trough, guess they can't tell when a mans really wiped out as long as he's spouting Democrat hatred.
So all that time when Limbaugh said he had half his brain tied behind him he was really just shitfaced on drugs. No wonder he makes sense to conservatives

Have a nice day
James

PS Brice--when we met in GA you may have noticed I wasn't quite up to the bonhomie that most have come to expect from me--its because I was half expecting to get served for libel. Guess that was all Republican hokum too. Too bad, my piggy banks made out of a 50 gal drum and my brothers a lawyer. It woud have been a good fight and I sure was wondering how you could prove libel when youre only refferred to here as Super Scout or Brice.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

To set your mind at rest, I don't hate Democrats, never said that I did. If you would have read my posts, and read carefully, instead of jumping to illogical conclusions, you might have discovered that yourself, rather than having me point out this reality to you. But perhaps it is your self-avowed hatred that has clouded your judgment.

You may have noticed that when we met in Georgia, I merely shook your hand, and that of Gimpy's, while extending a heartfelt hug to every other person there. Both of you have made comments that have impugned my integrity and my service, warranting only my disdain and total indifference. And again, had you bothered to read some of my posts, you would have understood, perhaps, that I don't have time to pursue any civil claim against you, as you certainly not worth any expenditure of effort on my effort. I have a full life, serving others, running my business, enjoying my extended family, playing golf, and occasionally back-washing my toothbrush, so I don't have time or interest for you.