The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default In Memory Day

In Memory Day

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund's In Memory program honors those who died as a result of the Vietnam War, but whose deaths do not fit the Department of Defense criteria for inclusion upon the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Every year there is a ceremony to pay tribute to these men and women who sacrificed so much for their country. The ceremony is held on the third Monday in April — In Memory Day.

The eleventh annual In Memory Day ceremony will take place on Monday, April 20 at 10 a.m. at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.
http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=7

In Memory Program

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund's In Memory program honors those who died as a result of the Vietnam War, but whose deaths do not fit the Department of Defense criteria for inclusion upon the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Every year there is a ceremony to pay tribute to these men and women who sacrificed so much for their country. The ceremony is held on the third Monday in April — In Memory Day.

During the In Memory Day ceremony, the names of all the honorees are read aloud. At the conclusion of the ceremony, certificates bearing the honorees' names are placed at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The tributes are collected by the National Park Service and stored in their permanent archive. In addition, the honorees are included in an In Memory Honor Roll Book to serve as a lasting reminder of their service and sacrifices.

If you know of anyone whose death was related to Vietnam War involvement, please complete an In Memory application and return it to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund along with a copy of the death certificate, proof of service in Vietnam*, a clean photograph of the honoree and a short biography.

For more information about the In Memory Day ceremony, click here.

For a copy of the In Memory application, download the online version or contact the Memorial Fund at (202) 393-0090 or via email at vvmf@vvmf.org.

All application materials must be received by February 9 to be considered for In Memory Day 2009.

*To obtain proof of service in Vietnam, visit the National Personnel Records Center Web site.
http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=2

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Friend of mine took her children to DC last week to see the sights. She knew I was a Vietnam Vet but thats about it. Said her son wanted to go see The Wall " with all the names " on it and asked if I knew anyone whose name was on the Wall . I told her I did and gave her a few names. Told her to make sure her son knew those names were people not just names. They went and she sent me pictures. One was of a plaque by the statue of the three soldiers. " In memory of the men and women who served in the Vietnam War and later died as a result of their service. We honor and remember their sacrifice " Tiny , Andy , Frank ,Bobby , Joe and Ed I don't need no body reading your names on Memorial day .. I remember you and the ones that died there every day. Peace Brothers
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

"All application materials must be received by February 9 to be considered for In Memory Day 2009."

Lt,
Totally understand what you`re saying, but let`s make an effort to make sure that the above name and those of Bill, Bob, Larry, Wolf, and all the others we know are so honored next year. I`ve always thought it a travesty that these folks, who died post combat of wounds and/or illness that never were honored on The Wall should have a place of their own.
I`ll save this address info for anyone who wants to get names to me over the next year-we`ll git er done.

Peace,Griz
Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb

Thank you for the post Joy. And LT I hear you too. And thank you Griz for still having the fight in you to do something for your brothers that they would never ask for but would have done for all others. Frank stood up through a post on the History Channel (2000) and stated there are men whose names are not on the Wall that should be there. Since then Frank, Andy and Bob's name were added to that list of names to which Bill's was added some thirty years before.

I want to salute and say thank you to the brave heart having lost her brother to AO related cancer lit the torch and ran with it until the mission was accomplished to have a memorial to those whose deaths were directly connected to their service in the Republic of Vietnam. She wanted something more than a plaque on the ground near the Wall but that idea was meant with resistance by those that make decisions about monuments, parks and such in DC. Her website is now archived on the Texas Tech website. (God Bless Texas!)

Ruth Coder Fitzgerald
President, Vietnam War In Memory Memorial, Inc.
Fredericksburg, VA

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."

Last edited by Arrow; 04-10-2009 at 11:31 AM.