The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2003, 05:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool 57 CHEVY - Sit Back and Enjoy!!!!!!

57 CHEVY - Sit Back and Enjoy!!!!!!

Remember when......?

When the worst thing you could do at school was smoke in the bathrooms, flunk a test or chew gum. And the banquets were in the cafeteria and we danced to a juke box later, and all the girls wore fluffy pastel gowns and the boys wore suits for the first time and we were allowed to stay out till 12 p.m.

When a '57 Chevy was everyone's dream car. . . to cruise, peel out, lay rubber and watch drag races, and people went steady and girls wore a class ring with an inch of wrapped dental floss or yarn coated with pastel frost nail polish so it would fit her finger.

And no one ever asked where the car keys were 'cause they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked. And you got in big trouble if you accidentally locked the doors at home, since no one ever had a key.

Remember lying on your back on the grass with your friends and saying things like "That cloud looks like a..."

And playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game. Back then, baseball was not a psychological group learning experience-it was a game.

Remember when stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals 'cause no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger.

And...with all our progress...don't you just wish...just once...you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace...and share it with the children of the 80's and 90's...

So send this on to someone who can still remember Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Laurel & Hardy, Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Belle, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk as well as the sound of a real mower on Saturday morning, and summers filled with bike rides, playing in cowboy land, baseball games, bowling and visits to the pool...and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive by shootings,drugs, gangs,etc.

Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we all survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!

And was it really that long ago?

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2003, 01:58 PM

Roger,

And LOOK at many of us are still alive from doing all the things you mentioned that are supposedly bad for your health now days.

I wish I wouldnt have started smoking, but all the rest Hell, I WOULDNT CHANGE A DARN THING.

enough.............
Old 07-24-2003, 02:37 PM

Default Roger

It really wasn't that long ago, but then, it was an eternity ago.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Roger: (And no one ever asked where the car keys were 'cause they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked. And you got in big trouble if you accidentally locked the doors at home, since no one ever had a key.)I can relate to that Until I Joined the USAF in 1980 we always left the key in the car unless we were at Wal-Marts' then one day in the Airforce my supervisor noticed I left the keys in my 65' Fairlane and he took them . After work I was worried I had lost my keys somewhere and went back inside the shop to get a ride to the Barracks and my Supervisor SSgt Milton Xedus said"Are you looking for these" then he told me the sad truth that there are people in the military who aren't part of your family and you can't trust everyone on Base so after that I started taking my keys out of the ignition . Off Base I always locked the car and sometimes removed the coil wire too
Old 07-26-2003, 05:03 AM

One more little note:

A few years ago, I ran into a friend at the local supermarket, and when he got out, I asked him if he had faith and trust in the public. He said yes, so I asked him "why did you just lock your car doors".

No answer from him.

enough.........