The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Flash back in the MRI Machine

Hat to get the MRI done on my neck today since last week it wasn't working right. The MRI started at 8:00 a.m. this mornig. It was scheduled to take about 20 minutes. The machine makes a a lot of noise when it taking imagaes I guess. One sound sound set me off. The sound was dull steady static that sounded like a 50 Cal in the distance, the nosie sarted to get louder, before I new it , I was no longer in the MRI machine, I was in the Highlands, ducking and running. I didn't know it, but I was trying crawl out of the machine, I was yelling, Get down, move, move, I had broken out in a sweat and my t-shirt was soaked, I was still trying to crawl out the MRI machine. The technican had entered the room, but I didn't know it, he either pulled me the rest of the way of the machine, or had moved the machine where I was no longer in it, I didn't know, he was telling me to stay still, calm down, I guess he asked me what is wrong. I was still yellingto get down, I jumped up bumped into the tech who fell down, I was on the floor still yelling move, move, get down, I didn't know it but I had the teck by his shirt collar was pulling him along with me. I didn't know it but another tech had entered the room, I guess he heard the yellilng, and called for assitance. I started to look up and the lights on the celing were blurry. I either started realized what had happened. I said "Oh My God, Oh My God, what happened, what happened. The techs helped me into a chair and asked me if I was alright, I still shaking, I was still sweating, and the room is kept cool because of the Machine. I was then taken to see Dr. Downhill (my shirnk at the VA), I was with him from about 8:30 a.m. and it was 10:30 a.m. when I was finally able to talk to him without babbling about what happened, but I was still shaking. They contacted my daugther about 10:45 a.m. Dr. Downhill flet that I was now able to go home but he didn't want me to drive home. So my daughter and her husband came and drove me home. They stayed with me until about 12:30 a.m. I am sitll a little shaky but I had to get here and talk to someone about it. I called Ken from my PTSD group we spoke for about 25 minutes he helped me a lot. I don't know if it was the sound the machine made, or being in the Machine that set me off. The beast is still alive and well within me. Seems it doesn't matter how long I have been in treatment or what meds I take, this can still happen, it's just that it has not happened like this in a long time. Thank all of you for being here so I can get this off my chest. I really physcially tired I hope I can take a nap without havng to revist this.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Robert...

If I may quote a very wise guy that I know "Baby steps Brother, baby steps".

Although I have not had this happen to this extreme, had a bad "episode" once when I was fighting a fire, guess the excitment was just too much. Another time, came to in the Hennipen County Medical Center Psyc Ward, before being transfered to the VA in Minneapolis.

We are always here, for each other, just like we were yesterday, and will be tomorrow. Rest my friend, I will take first watch.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The MRI bothered me but nowhere near what it did to you. Maybe they can do some old regular AP, lateral and open mouth c-spine x-rays. They probably show just as much as they ever did, and they sure were good at diagnosing neck problems. God bless you buddy. I think we will never shed that hellhole until we die.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

They missed Bob and you're back in the land of the round eyed girl. There are times that the brain hits "Play" on the virtual cassette record and you have to hit the eject button. Personally I don't think I'll DEROS until He shuts my eyes for the last time but for now, He covers me.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Robert
Map out that trip to the Mtn next month. It will definitely help. Let me know if you're gonna convoy down with me to Hal's house then on down to the choir practice

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Don't mean nothin, bro. Not a thing. Some folks get excited over every little thing. We are on the gravy end of things now, let's enjoy that as much as the past will let us. Bring yourself along to the mtn. if you can. Good folks. Good times. It's all good.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Hi Robert:

Robert--You are not unique in having problems that originated from having an MRI performed. Even some people, with no problems associated with Vietnam, have trouble having the procedure performed on them and frequently have trouble being in a confined space for a long length of time.

I had to have an MRI done several years ago and did not like being in the confined space of the MRI Machine for very long. I started to feel just like I was in a Coffin and buried alive--Unable to get out. When I started screaming to get me the HELL OUT OF THERE, the test was then aborted and I was removed from the machine. I too found myself completely bathed in sweat and shaking from the experience of being placed in the confined space and being forced to remain still while hearing many unusual noises going on all around me. I guess I associated the noises, and being confined to a closed space, with some fo the same fears I had while going through several Rocket Attacks in Nam. It is funny how our minds can play cruel tricks on us when we least expect!!

I was later told that most places that give MRI Examinations also have a machine that is open on all sides and does not give the sansation of being buried or confined. A second MRI Test was then scheduled and I was placed in the machine without any sides. I was then able to complete the test without further incident.

If any of my Brothers and Sisters ever have to take an MRI and feel that they will be effected by either the noise of the test, or being in a confined area for some time, they can request that the test be run on a machine that has no sides to it.

Robert--I want to again wish you a most HEART FELT and SINCERE--WELCOME HOME to you.

To all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I also want to wish the same HEART FELT and MOST SINCERE--WELCOME HOME--to you as well.

VIETNAM 1968