The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Retiring/Re-locating to Tenneessee

I am looking for information on relocating to Tenn, around Cookeville, Silver Point Area. I am retired Navy and can retire from Customs and Border Protection in 2009. Trying to learn more about the Stae and what is available for retires in the area. Also interested in housing costs.
Anyone have any contacts in the area I am interested in?
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
theemperor
Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Willie , I live in Ga but am going to Nashville Tn this weekend I 'll stop at a TN Welcome Center and pick up some info for you
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc Fred and Doc Hal both live in Tennessee.....they should be able to help you.....if you can wake them up. It seems like a great state and has no state income tax.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Doc.2/47

Default Awake! Alert! Ready,Sir!

Unfortuneately, Cookville is a considerable distence East of me(roughly 120 miles) so Doc. Fred might be more help. If you aren't for sure settled on the Cookville area, I can make a good arguement why my area is MUCH better.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM

Biker Question:

Isn't Cookeville over near the Tail of the Dragon??? I usually come in from the North Carolina side and loop back the Cherohala Skyway, thus leaving through NC as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Cookeville is in the northern center of middle tn . near Center hill lake and South of Dale Hollow lake. Silver point is a rural farming area off I-40 near Cookville.Also Cookville is the home of THE TENNESSEE STATE TECNICAL COLLEGE . There is a retirement community near Cookville called Fairfield Glade that borders the Catoosa Wildlife Management area if you are interested in hunting There is a deer hunting sight here in Tennessee called TNDEER if you are interested in hunting. http://www.tndeer.com/
The state capital is only 79.5 miles west of Cookville. Silverpoint TN. is east of Leabon TN south of I-40 near Edgar Evins State park on Center Hill lake.
Origin and history of the name Tennessee

The earliest variant of the name that became Tennessee was first recorded by Captain Juan Pardo, the Spanish explorer, when he and his men passed through a Native American village named "Tanasqui" in 1567 while travelling inland from South Carolina. European settlers later encountered a Cherokee town named Tanasi (or "Tanase") in present-day Monroe County, Tennessee. The town was located on a river of the same name (now known as the Little Tennessee River).

The meaning and Origin of the word are uncertain. Some accounts suggest it is a Cherokee modification of an earlier Yuchi or possibly Creek word. It has been said to mean "meeting place", "winding river", or "river of the great bend".target="_blank">http://www.state.tn.us/sos/statelib/...aq.htm01modern spelling, Tennessee, is attributed to James Glen, the Governor of South Carolina, who used this spelling in his official correspondence during the 1750s. In 1788, North Carolina named the third county to be established in what is now Middle Tennessee "Tennessee County". When a constitutional convention met in 1796 to organize a new state out of the Southwest Territory, it adopted "Tennessee" as the name of the state.

History

The area now known as Tennessee was first settled by Paleo-Indians nearly 11,000 years ago. The names of the cultural groups that inhabited the area between first settlement and the time of European contact are unknown, but several distinct cultural phases have been named by archaeologists, including Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian whose chiefdoms were the cultural predecessors of the Muscogee people who inhabited the Tennessee River Valley prior to Cherokee migration into the river's headwaters.

When Spanish explorers first visited the area, led by Hernando de Soto in 1539-43, it was inhabited by tribes of Muscogee and Yuchi people. For unknown reasons, possibly due to expanding European settlement in the north, the Cherokee, an Iroquoian tribe, moved south from the area now called Virginia. As European colonists spread into the area, the native populations were forcibly displaced to the south and west, including all Muscogee and Yuchi peoples, including the Chickasaw and Choctaw. From 1838 to 1839, nearly 17,000 Cherokees were forced to march from Eastern Tennessee to Indian Territory west of Arkansas. This came to be known as the Trail of Tears, as an estimated 4,000 Cherokees died along the way.1

Tennessee was admitted to the Union in 1796 as the 16th state, and was created by taking the north and south borders of North Carolina and extending them with only one small deviation to the Mississippi River, Tennessee's western boundary. Tennessee was the last Confederate state to secede from the Union when it did so on June 8, 1861. After the American Civil War, Tennessee adopted a new constitution that abolished slavery (February 22, 1865), ratified the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution on July 18, 1866, and was the first state readmitted to the Union (July 24 of the same year).

Tennessee was the only state that seceded from the Union that did not have a military Governor after the American Civil War, mostly due to the influence of President Andrew Johnson, a native of the state, who was Lincoln's vice President and succeeded him as president, due to the assassination.
http://tennessee.brainsip.com/
Old 02-24-2006, 02:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

And the PolySci Profs and History Profs had the Gaul to call Andrew Johnson one of the 10 worst US Presidents..... Not in my Book he ain't! Being outnumbered by the Radical Abolitionist wing of the Republican Party He did a pretty fair job representing ALL of the citizens of the US not just the politically correct ones like Ole Willy T Sherman the Butcher of the plains(and the South) Now back to your regular programming ..... And don't forget Columbia Tenn and their annual Mule Day Celebration! Sterling Marlin the #14 Nascar driver lives there. T for Texas T for Tennessee two states with a shared history of Tennessee Volunteers!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Doc.2/47

Awww...they're just still mad about that party he had an bringin in all the good ole boys with their muddy boots an whatnot. Ole Andy J. mighta been a mite short on cooth but he had one SERIOUS set a balls on him.

We must not forget the Lynchburg/Jack Daniels World Championship Bar-B-Que cookoff. Considerin entering Heny in their ugliest truck contest if I can figger out how not to let him know what kinda contest it is.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Willie check out Doc Freds stomping grounds he lives where Davy Crockett was raised and the place is beautiful. big river's and lakes and right at the start of the mountians.a and the Natives are very nice too. and the best damn watermillion I ever ate.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking The Only Problem with Tennessee

IS:

You can't retire there, you are always volunteering for this or that.
They keep you so busy volunteering that you can't retire.

Keith