The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Thumbs down ACLU Attacks Midshipmen Prayer

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/A...26/107582.html

The American Civil Liberties Union is threatening to file suit against the U.S. Naval Academy over the school’s daily lunchtime prayer.

Nine midshipmen at the academy asked the ACLU to petition the school to do away with the prayers, saying that some midshipmen have felt pressured to participate.

The ACLU sent a letter to the Annapolis, Md., school saying it was “long past time” for the academy to abolish the traditional prayer, contending it violates midshipmen’s freedom to practice religion as they see fit.

The Naval Academy rejected the ACLU’s request, saying in a statement: “The academy does not intend to change its practice of offering midshipmen an opportunity for prayer or devotional thought during noon meal announcements.”

Some form of prayer has been offered for midshipmen at meals since the school’s founding in 1845, and it is “consistent with other practices throughout the Navy,” according to the statement.

One recent academy graduate, an agnostic who objected to the chaplain-led prayer, said she felt pressured to participate in the prayer at lunch, where attendance is mandatory.

“Everybody else is participating with their heads bowed and their arms crossed,” she told The Washington Post.

“It became very obvious that you aren’t participating.”

She also said that midshipmen who want to pray at lunch “have the option to pray on their own. There’s no reason they should subject everybody … to this prayer.”

Another recent graduate, who is now an atheist, told The New York Times that whether officers make participating in the prayer voluntary or not, “they make it very clear that this is the standard, and the standard is Judaism or Christianity. I feel it’s inappropriate to have this in a public institution.”

If the ACLU proceeds with its lawsuit, it’s likely to base its case on a ruling by a federal appeals court, which in 2003 struck down the Virginia Military Institute’s mealtime prayer as unconstitutional.

The Naval Academy flap is not the only instance of religious practice creating controversy at a U.S. military academy.

Cadets and officers at West Point have told The Times that until recently, cadets who did not attend religious services during basic training were sometimes referred to as “heathens,” and they complained that mandatory banquets began with prayer.

Back in August 2005, the Air Force released new guidelines for religious tolerance that discourage public prayer at official functions.

The guidelines were drawn up after allegations that evangelical Christians wielded so much influence at the Air Force Academy in Colorado that anti-Semitism and other forms of religious harassment became pervasive.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ah yes, more wondrous benefits brought to us by the liberals. Their continual assault on morality, esteemed and useful institutions, and common sense makes the ACLU and all their polyps about as useful as a used corncob.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Public Instution Yes

But the Naval Acadmey is not a public instution. So grads resgin your commissions if you object to the Naval Academy practices. You certainly didn'd mind getting your degreee or commission from the Academy.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
But the Naval Acadmey is not a public instution. So grads resgin your commissions if you object to the Naval Academy practices. You certainly didn'd mind getting your degreee or commission from the Academy.
Hate to correct you, but part of my tax dollars go to support the US Naval Acadamey, so it is a public institution. But if these whiners and snivelers object to the prayers at said school, let them pay for the tuition and other expenses that we the taxpayers bore for them.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

I think they should just slap the dicks who are pressuring those who don't participate instead of just removing it completely. We have evening prayer when underway before taps, but we don't ridicule people who don't bow their heads. This is stupid.

“It became very obvious that you aren’t participating.”

So? Pray if you want, and leave my freedom of religion alone.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Stand these nine so called Midshipmen up against the nearest wall, and shoot them first. When the bodies fall limp and life less, then line up the members of the ACLU and shoot them next!

Thought being in the service was all about God and Country?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Other religous issues were on TV not long ago

I saw a special where those who have no belief's at all (can spell atheist) were catching hell because they wouldn't attend any religious functions. I don't know the whole story but it's going around and back and forth - and hence your dam'd if you do and dam'd again if you don't. What a world.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Church services are optional in bootcamp.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)