The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Twenty First Century

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation Operation Cast Lead Sat-Sun Jan 3rd-4th, 2009

I am now back on my computer after a relatively peaceful Shabbat down south near Be’er Sheva, with no hint of the current conflict except for the more-than-occasional fighter jet flying overhead, conversations about the situation, and the fact that the synagogue in which I prayed doubles as a bomb shelter.
While I was enjoying the Sabbath, our brave IDF soldiers were continuing the amazing job they have been doing. Warplanes, gunboats and artillery units struck more than 40 Hamas targets over the day, including Hamas’s central intelligence headquarters in Sha’ati, weapons storage facilities (including yet another mosque), training centers, a launching site used for firing rockets on Ashdod, Hamashole leaders’ homes, and the main road that runs throughout the Gaza Strip. We also sent to hell yet another Hamashole leader.
The firing of artillery shells into the Gaza Strip was significant because besides the fact that it heralds a possible escalation in the fighting, it was the first time since the offensive began a week ago, and, in fact, the first time in three years, that the IDF has fired artillery shells at Gaza targets.
Meanwhile, the palestinians have continued to fire rockets into Israel, firing at over 31 at places such as Ashkelon, Sderot, Kiryat Malachi, Netivot, and the Eshkol region. Thankfully, no-one was killed, although some people were injured, including a woman after her house suffered a direct hit. I’m telling you, if you don’t see the miracles here, you are living in denial.
In other news, palestinian police violently cracked down on Hamas protests throughout the West Bank, outgoing US President Bush is saying the right things, and Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal blabbered on about something.
Updates (Israel time; most recent at top)
9:32PM: Hamas are reporting they have killed some IDF soldiers.
9:30PM: I can’t get my site to load. Is this a problem for anyone else?
9:24PM: If I had a baton in this situation, no prizes for guessing where I would lodge it.
9:20PM: The rocket launcher we just struck was reportedly in the “refugee” camp’s cemetery.
No surprise that they have no respect for their dead given the way they treat the living (ours and theirs).
9:18PM: The IDF struck a rocket launcher in Jabalyah.
9:10PM: Interesting poll results reported by the palestinian Ma’an News:
Near East Consulting surveyed Palestinian residents of the Gaza Strip in late December, where results found that a full 60 percent of Palestinians there believe Hamas made a mistake by not seeking to renew the ceasefire with Israel.
Which means 40% do support Hamas’ decision. Hardly a small minority. But read on.
Just a slim majority of Palestinians in Gaza support rocket fire against Israeli targets, with about 54 percent in favor of the continuing bombardment. A nearly identical percentage of Israelis support the ongoing airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, incidentally.
You just have to love that last sentence. Professional and objective reporting at its finest.
About 92 percent of Hamas supporters agree with projectile fire, however, which is opposed by 72 percent of Fatah affiliates.
Meanwhile, here is another interesting result:
Regarding the needs of Palestinian families in the besieged coastal strip, 42 percent surveyed said they are most concerned about food supplies; about 20 percent named electricity as their top concern.
About nine percent said their children’s safety is the most urgent concern, while a full eight percent said “all of the above” were equally complicating their lives.
If Israel was indeed indiscriminately bombing Gaza, then you would have expected way more than 9% having the children’s safety at the top of their list.
8:54PM: The Israeli cabinet has decided to call up tens of thousands of reservists.
8:51PM: Troops and terrorists are trading gunfire as we speak.
8:49PM: The IDF has stated that the objective of the ground incursion is to strike Hamas’ foundations and to take control of the areas from which rockets are being fired.
8:43PM: Notice how I have changed the direction of the updates, due to overwhelming public demand. Latest is at the top.
8:40PM: Here we go: A while ago, Israeli television reported that we have launched a ground offensive.

http://www.israellycool.com/2009/01/...-3rd-4th-2009/

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links