View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2003, 09:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Blue,
That would work, I?m for it, but maybe start with a research or Fleet ASW exercise boat and see how it goes. But I don?t see how a dual gender submarine would work. That could get real crazy and upside down in a hurry. I can just see some Sailor wife or Sailor husband saying farewell to the spouse and knowing he or she would be submerged for six months with Sailor Gals or Guys. Surface ships are one thing but the close living and extended submersion periods on an attack or boomer boat is quite another. The craziness ashore would be worse than the craziness aboard and whole new chapters in human dynamics would need to be written, I?m thinking. I shudder to think.

Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2003, 10:39 AM

This post is going to keep on going and going, Just like the die hard battery.

Has anyone of you ever witness the walking down the road and the next thing you know your friend is blown to pieces cause of some woman or child carrying a grenade or lined with explosives??

The women in Nam done that plenty of times, and it brings back such horrfic memories that are undescrinble.

Just what is wrong with the women wanting to do their duty like the men.

They arent children like the GOOKS used.

I Salute each and every woman who wants to do their time in the Military, no matter whichNEC they are assigned, or request..........

You grunts is the MOS..........

enough, and I mean enough tis time ..................
Old 07-31-2003, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Just imagine Scamp! If the Navy would do as you suggest, try out one all-female vessel, of any kind or maybe of a couple of kinds (tender, sub, cruiser) I am just SURE the gals would do it so well... it'd be a revelation and source of honor and pride for our military if it went well. What would be happening back on-shore only a swabbie knows (no offense intended).

I remember seeing that "GI JANE" movie that got this thread started... I really felt for the heroine, and so did her superiors in the play. It was gut-wrenching to see her get sold out by a selfish politician. By God that lady was upstanding and tough as nails though... If anybody wants to know, I think maybe it was that film which got my thinking going along the lines that we've been writing on this thread too! Before that, I would probably have been counted among the ones who did not want any female combatants of any kind ever.

And Reeb, some of us have gotta talk this thing out. We ALL salute the women in service, but they are asking for more these days and there has got to be a way to help them who wants it thataway... that's all. It ain't plain ole ordinary "service" they're wanting anymore, some of them, and my hunch is we're gonna be needing more fighters in coming years.

NOTHING is wrong with women wanting to do their duty, it's only that Defense Department regulations are preventing that for a whole bunch of 'em!
Old 07-31-2003, 12:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hold da boat, hold da boat a sec Blue. The sea going Navy is an entire self-contained culture and the Sailor Gals would have to build this culture but not all the way from scratch. So I?d say realistically, start with auxiliary and service vessels to build the culture and infrastructure then work up to Cruisers, Destroyers, subs and the like. It would work but the Gal Sailors need to master the decks, guns and engine spaces first, as they are light on the ground in those areas at present. Alas, the USNA is churning out female grads on a regular basis and maybe they are all dressed up with no ship to dance with.

As to the effect on the Swabbie culture, well, in my opinion it would level the playing field a whole bunch and by the time we get there, everyone would be prepared so it wouldn?t be such a big deal. I think it would be similar to pounding the tar out of us Swabbies about racial prejudice during the VN War. Hell, the Officers were bashing around like a bunch of full-scale idiots over the issue but it wasn?t a big deal to us Swabbies as it was an institutional issue, not an interpersonal issue. The Officers stacked the deck in terms of racial prejudice so to me it seemed a simple matter of un stacking the deck and I wondered what the hell is all the fuss about. Didn?t make a lot of sense to me at all. In the rating I was in, there wasn?t a single non-Caucasian face to be seen. The quals were heavy on math, physics and things of that nature and I often wondered why only white guys got qualified to participate. Curious, huh. :cd:

Scamp
Old 07-31-2003, 03:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Scamp,

I see what direction you're thinking, about going auxilliary vessels first and such...that'd work just fine. It could really be something else...there could become a whole new meaning to the Navy word "smartly"! ;-)

And, yes, it REAL dang curious all you point out!
Old 08-01-2003, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Heck Blue, I was just pondering this scenario and I believe I found a chink in the armor. I think I?ll hustle up and sign on to go to sea as the token male aboard. Might as well go full circle on this deal and make things fair, PC and all that, I?m thinking. Tough job but I think I can handle it.

Scamp