Robert J Ryan

Well so much for buy American Made
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default PHO

cummins diesels is owned by Ford, thats why the change, Ford wants to offer the Cummins as an option and then replace the power stroke.

Did you know that a Cummins diesel once sat on the pole for a indy 500 race.

Ron
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default $$$

About a year ago I read an article in Time. It gave some very interesting numbers. I don?t remember the exact dollars but it ran something like this.
Before a GM car comes off the assembly line, before there is a car, it cost $2,400. That?s to pay retirement benefits and the like.
A Toyota costs about 800 dollars.
A KIA costs about 50 Dollars.
Not exactly a level playing field.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default car

?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default LT and I have

several friends that work or have just retired from GENEROUS MOTORS. People that push brooms there make more money than Forrest Gump.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default pho

Ahhh Gump was a character in a movie, You mean Tom hanks, then I dought that a broom pusher makes more than Tom.

Ron
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

What a crock of shit! I will not buy another new American Built car ever again. The workmanship is just not up to par, nor is the attention to detail. Oh, and I have bought so called American Built cars.
1975 Dodge Dart, first year of the introduction of unleaded gas.
Car stalled repeatedly leaving the lot, should have been a warning to me. Carburetor incurred a minor change that year, the float went from being brass to plastic. The plastic floats leaked or melted depending upon which replacement was used. Final solution to the problem was putting in a brass float! Car ate starter motors like they were candy. Reason: some teeth were not cast on the flywheel! Not broken off, not cracked, but not cast!
Where was the quality control? This was also the first year you had to buckle the seat belt in order to start the car. The sensor in the seat went five or six times, requiring creative thinking to get the car started.
1980 Chevy Chevette, generally a good car, had a leak on the passenger side door that the dealer could not fix. It required my taking off the fender and re-doing a body seal. Transmission wound up with a broken split ring on the second gear syncro.
The stator also went a few times.
1995 Saturn SL1, body fit on these cars leaves alot to be desired. But they are plastic so have to allow some leeway. That is until the doors swell shut in summer time weather to the point you can't open them. Sun roof motor went three times. EGR Valves only lasted 20-30 thousand miles. Head gasket went at 89,000 but was covered by Saturn.
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue, climate control sensor was replaced four times, vacuum lines were replaced twice.

Used cars:
1968 Ford Falcon made in Ontario Canada, great car. 3 on the tree, 200 straight six.
1968 Volkswagen Bug made in Germany, still running, great car.
1996 Buick Skylark, gave new meaning to the term "Trusty Rusty Buick. Rear shock mounts rotted out of the thing! Oil filter was one of the worst designs I've encountered on the 2.5 L engine!
Numerous VW Bugs and Rabbits.

What's in the driveway now?
1989 Nissan Maxima with over 96,000 miles on it, running great although it has had some body work. Bought used. Made in Japan.
1995 Honda Civic, 26,000 miles on it. Great car, 38 mpg on the highway. Bought used. Made in Canada.
2003 Volkswagen Euro Van camper edition. Great car for when we travel with our dogs. Pop up top seal has been replaced. Made in Germany.
Oh, my 1968 Bug sits safely in my garage for the long Sunday drives on bright sunny days. Made in Germany.

Not a hell of alot of MADE in USA on the new Mustang, but it would be a car I'd take a look at. Only because of it's retro look it sports these days. Rest of the American Krap I wouldn't give a second look at.
I'd buy a used American Muscle car, 1960's up to about 1974, or another Rambler Rouge with a 223 under the hood.

The Unions and greed killed the American car. If the cars were built better and lasted nearly as long as the Jap or German cars, then maybe I'd buy one.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Sparrow

Sounds to me like all your GM vehicles were your crock of shit.
Nobody said anybody couldn't buy any make they want to buy, By all means buy a jap car, hell buy a jap motorcycle also, When the Japs and Chiness take over what you sell, don't complain.
American cars in the 70s and 80s wern't built very good and neither were the Jap cars, I fallowed many a datsin down the road that was leaving a cloud of oil smoke. The jap cars in the 90s were built to last longer than the American cars, Thats just fine if you like riding around in an egg beater. they sound like crap. and perform worse. 1.5 liter is a soft drink not a engine size.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_101_0101.jpg (10.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron, you crack me up

I love it, 1.5 liter is a soft drink not an engine size. I'll remember that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_101_0105.jpg (14.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Look at the amount of debt owed between Chrysler, GM, and Ford...maybe approaching a trillion dollars...they will all be foreign owned or out of business very soon. I knew it was over for GM when they gave an "employee pricing party" for a month and their sales went down like a rock. They did it to themselves, and of course the esteemed "Dept. of Energy" ( what the hell does it do anyway ) let them do it.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_101_0122.jpg (15.2 KB, 44 views)