The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

We are very glad to be back online and even happier to hear from everyone again. I apologize we did not give advance notice about what happened but I thought I had the bases covered.

Here is a brief synopsis of what happened for those interested:

1. Our past server host let us get hacked last year by allowing the OS kernel to become out of date. This was the first time I considered another move.

2. We had tape backups with the last server and they were starting to run over in costs by $50.00 - $150.00 a month during the last 5 months or so. I talked to them on numerous occasions about the overages because I knew we did not have as much data on the server as they claimed we did. We paid for 40 gigs a week of backup and they were doubling and tripling that. We finally figured out they had mirrored backups on the server which were huge and that was causing the problem. This was their fault but they neither offered a refund or a logical explanation for the errors. I let it go but kept my eye on the server and billing. Sure enough, after one good month, the bill was outrageous again. They had allowed the same thing to happen again.

3. I called them and flat out told them to cancel the backup service as I would handle it myself. They argued with me back and forth in email about how bad it would be to do so until I finally told them it was not a request but an absolute necessity as they were unable to handle the job properly and were charging us for their mistakes. They still balked and that is when I decided to move the server.

4. I signed a contract with a local provider more then a week before the last server was to go offline. After waiting a week for their tech department to deploy the server they said they could not and would not configure the server in the fashion we had agreed upon during the negotiations. The old server went offline a couple days later as we searched for the next provider.

5. We negotiated with another local provider we knew personally for another week but they did not have the tech support to handle some of the configuration needs we had so we moved back to the search.

6. We finally hit upon our current provider after close to three weeks of being offline. It took them another week to get the server set up right and then it took me a few more days to upload and adjust the sites (still in progress right now) So far they have been great. We hope this is the last of the server excitement we have for a long time to come.

I am leaving out some here and there but that is about how it all went down. I was surprised to see how far the market had degraded over the last few years since we last moved. Almost universally sales people will just about tell you anything to get the sale and then the tech guys will say you should have checked with them to see if they could handle the requirements. Once you cancel service it takes threats of chargebacks to get refunds. Reminds me of the cable company. What a mess. Anyway, it is good to be back
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2005, 02:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Paco checkin' in!

So good to be back and great to see everyone else still hangin' round.

Gimp....we have lots to talk about. Had my hands full of likker drinkin' yankee's, and one from Mass, (who wore a "Yankee's Suck" t-shirt). Luckily there were plenty of dogs around to keep them occupied and away from the women folk. Being a true suthern gentilman, I SIMULATED drinkin' likker so I could keep an eye on all of them and block any from buyin' real estate down here. Now, some will dispute the "simulated" part.....but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 04-29-2005, 02:52 AM

papa Art happy to see you back
I pasted this on VI Combat Enginners and six other webs
Old 04-29-2005, 04:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome back everyone....pics will be posted on the Vietnam forum as soon as I get them back. I will have to do some serious editing.....Hate to break up a marriage or two
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 04-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I made a new catagory for the campout pictures in the gallery named "East Coast Campout 2005" under the members section. I hope everyone posts pictures of the campout there too as this will make it easier to find them in the future.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:58 AM

Like Doc siad it was like being on withdraw - Geez I'm gland to see you all again (in words that is). Welcome Home To All Of You.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-29-2005, 03:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ok, along side, monkey fist out, blowing down boilers and sending over lines to secure to the landing. Good to see all ya'll landlubbers again. Chris and Boats, can ya get some line handlers going so we can secure this rig.

Scamp
Old 04-29-2005, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by Seascamp Ok, along side, monkey fist out, blowing down boilers and sending over lines to secure to the landing. Good to see all ya'll landlubbers again. Chris and Boats, can ya get some line handlers going so we can secure this rig.

Scamp
Take it easy on who you call a Landlubber! Don't forget it was us ABH's who put the whips and anntenas up when pulling along side the small boys! LOL, those were good days!!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 04-29-2005, 05:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My sincere apologies SparrowHawk, I never came alongside a carrier but did run point plane guard for Dixie Point Carrier air strikes many times over. All I have to say is that you flight deck guys had to have balls of steel, be alert, be smart as all hell, be cat-quick to make all that happen and survive to tell the tale. Talk about the quick and the dead, Aarrgg. Salute to you SparrowHawk.

Forgive? I meant no offence.

Scamp
Old 05-01-2005, 01:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by Seascamp My sincere apologies SparrowHawk, I never came alongside a carrier but did run point plane guard for Dixie Point Carrier air strikes many times over. All I have to say is that you flight deck guys had to have balls of steel, be alert, be smart as all hell, be cat-quick to make all that happen and survive to tell the tale. Talk about the quick and the dead, Aarrgg. Salute to you SparrowHawk.

Forgive? I meant no offence.

Scamp
Sir, I am humbled by your response. Thank you. Your apology is more than accepted, and no offense is taken. I'm just having a bit of fun with you.
I have the ut most respect for the guys who made the un-reps happen. They all worked long and hard to keep the crew in supplies, DFM, and go go juice for the birds.
So in turn Shipmate, a hardy hand salute to you!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown