Default Ron,

I love ya man.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2004, 08:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default From Germany

Beslan, Russia: A Liberal Guide to Better Understanding Freedom Fighters

At this very moment it is too early to know the precise number of hostage takers killed or captured.

In any case, it is important to keep some simple liberal rules in mind just in case one or more freedom fighters survived the attacks by the Russian police and were taken into custody:

1. We may not condone their killings - if there were any at all -, but we have to look for the root causes for a better understanding of their behavior. Were they inconvenienced in practicing their religion? Delays during rush hour in Chechnya? Election losses? Only if we know exactly what drove these young men and women to their somewhat regrettable actions can we make a final judgment.

2. Avoid the term "terrorists" for the hostage takers by all means. They have families with mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, and it would be a great disservice for them to have their relatives labeled with derogative terms.

3. The hostage takers have full rights for proper legal procedure. They should be assigned the best lawyers available, preferably from France or Germany. Both countries have a proud tradition of setting proven terrorists free, either as a result of faulty court hearings or by giving in to blackmail.

4. It must be investigated in full detail if Putin is behind the hostage taking. He has every interest in the world to appear as a hardliner, and he desperately needed another victory over Chechnyan freedom fighters. While this is only a non-confirmed hypothesis so far, we have not heard any rejection of it from official Russian government sources - which is quite telling in itself, of course.

5. There can be no - repeat: NO - capital punishment for the hostage takers. Capital punishment is a cruel and inhuman act that violates the human rights of the accused.

6. We request that an internationally reputable organization such as the Red Cross be permitted to monitor conditions and report cases of abuse and torture in the prison where the hostage takers are held.

7. Free flow of information between the imprisoned hostage takers and their peers from Al Qaida must be permitted at all times. Access to telecommunications and the internet must be guaranteed.

8. The search for a political solution of the conflict is imperative. Meetings between representatives of the Russian government and the hostage takers, under the supervision of the United Nations, are the only way out of the crisis. The cycle of violence has got to stop!

We will keep you posted on any human rights violations by the Russian government. The hostage takers deserve a fair and transparent legal procedure.

You may throw up now...

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming.......

Or at least that?s what they claim now. Though not a new threat, leading Russian Military officials claim that they will hit terrorists anywhere in the world and I think they mean it now. This attack gave Putin the high ground so I fully expect that life will become even more desperate and difficult in Chechnya and perhaps other places as well. We?ll just have to see how this positioning and levering pertains to trading partners/terrorist states like Iran. My guess is that there are rules and exceptions to rules and Iran will continue to get the Russian blind eye and a wink with the other.

It is not clear at all what the terrorists expected to achieve with the brutal torture and murder of children but if they reckoned Russia is Spain and would just do the funky Spanish roll over two-step, I figure they reckoned real, real wrong. The Bear has woken up, is blood lusting and there will be a very heavy blood debt paid, bet on that.

Scamp
Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ivan's response

Despite almost total dismantling of their military apparatik, Ivan still retains sufficient hardware to mount a serious incursion into practically any region of their choice. This being the case, I predict that there will be an amazing paucity of news coming out of the Kremlin, while Russian Special ops folks go do their thing. As others have rightfully pointed out, the awakening of the Russian bear and the harm done to her cubs will result in a counter-strike that will make shock and awe pale into insignificata. Onliest problem, we won't hear/see about it, since Pravda/Tass folks ain't getting their usual invitation to the doings, which is OK by me - as long as they're successful in eliminating terrorists. And oh, yes, they are MUSLIM driven/oriented, and screw PC.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Ron

Friend of mine says skinning usually gets them talking. I'd love to help a few of them to glory. Don't mess with my children
Old 09-09-2004, 10:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Col......

I think you have the situation with Tass, Pravda et.al, fairly well summed up. My gut feel is that what happens next will be a major and significant ratcheting up of the war with the Islamic terrorists and what many claim to be WWIII. I also agree that Russia gave up the lion?s share of their strategic military hardware but the tactical operations equipment and military capability is still very much intact, potent and very lethal. As the pressure is applied I think we will hear selected tidbits of this and that as it would very, very un Russian to keep severe object lessons under wraps. After all we must recall that the 20th century was hell?s kitchen in terms of cooking up and perfecting global terrorism recipes.
Alas, the hell?s kitchen Chefs at the time were driving the global Comintern agenda and it?s no great mystery where all that was emanating from.

Scamp