Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pac
two things
1. you asked "that was not called for". What was not called for????"
I was talking to 1CAVCCO15MED when I said that was not called for , If I said something to you and then said that was not called for, the not called for would be what ever I said to you.

2. The rest of your statemnet , I agree with, except for a little part, Just because someone says that a unit wasn't there don't mean it wasn't there, I was temp with a bunch of units, I had guys call me a lire when I told them that I was with the 173rd at hill 875, I finally found UPI footage confurming that "elements of the 4th were also there" I had a Marine tell me that I wasn't on LZ Baldy cause it was a Marine place. . I wish I were only at one Base camp, that would have made life easier but the Army chose to send me all over the place and with many units, I can't help that.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 06:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Fater Packowski....Bless me father for I have sinned.....I told one lie, It wasn't a truck, it was a jeep, but it was a big jeep. ....
Now I gotcha!!! The 18th was in 2 Corp while the 20th was in I (eye, one) Corp.
which had nothing to do with any Cav unit, so if you were with the Cav . you wern't in Vietnam
bOOger

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I surrender!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-03-2006, 07:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I screwed up again. 18th was in 2 corp while the 20th was in3 and 4 corp Tay Ninh was in 3 corp so it had to have been the 20th......In so confused.....I accept your surrender and I toast you with a black coffee with a shot of Annesitte
bOOger

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pac
One last thing.
If you will look at the units assigned to the 4th you will find at least 3 units that wore the Cav patch.
1st Battalion 50th Inf. (Mechanized)
1st Squadron 10th Cavalry (Armored) Buffaloes
and
2nd Squadron, 1st Cavalry (Armored) Blackhawks
Now these units had cav patches on there stuff, maybe they weren't cav but I have no way of knowing that.

Ron
Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

the 1st Bn 50th Inf. (Mech) was only attached to the 1st Air Cav from 22 Sep 67-15 Mar 68. They were not actually assigned as part of the division per order of battle, but attached. The other units were never attached or were never part in any way to the First Air Cav Division. When you saw them, it must have been during those dates, and so at that time they were actually attached to the First Cav but again, not actually in the division. I'm not sure if when your attached you wear the division patch or not. Someone else would have to answer that. Here are the 1st Cav Divisions actuall Cavalry Units through the whole war:

1st & 2n Bn 5th Cav
1st & 2n Bn 7th Cav
5th Bn 7th Cav
1&2nd 8th Cav
1st and 2nd 12th Cav.

1st Squadron, 9th (Aerial Recon and Red Teams)

That's it for Division Cavalry Units. So 1st Bn 50th was attached for awhile but would not have been considered actually a 1st Cav unit. Again, don't know if being attached you wear the Div Patch, guess you must. Kinda makes sense if you don't have one of your own. As it says in your order of battle the 1st of 50th was also attached to your 4th also. Looks like they were kind of a floating unit from div to div.

Pack

Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Well, Garry my Owen! This place is too crazy for me. I'm going back to the loony bin. See you in a week. Fred. Or is it William?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Have fun Doc! See ya soon.

Ron,

1st Bn 50th has an interesting web site which explains them more: check out

http://www.ichiban1.org/

Think you'll find it interesting.

Pack

Old 09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pac
I think part of your post on 1-50 is making my point, I think. We had Cav units that were assigned/attached to us and in the 1st post of 1CAVCCO15MED he stated that "1/10th was not a 1st Cav unit." although these guys were with us and had Cav patches on , just didn't work.

Now I have no idea about Cav units, but I can see a cav patch and with all good intentions, assume that the guy wearing that patch would be in a cav unit, That unit being attached to the 4th INf, Just as some 101 units were attached to the 4th.

And makeing light of a situation is always been the VN vets way of dealing with any subject.

Ron
Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I still say the cav wasnt there because I didn't see one horse the whole time I was there. ifin ya dont believe me go to farmlove.com.
bOOger

God bless the ACLU