Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2004, 10:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just lay the wall down.

Put all the names on a sidewalk.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:30 PM

revwardoc,
Your right about the Confederate draft.I'am with a CW reenactment unit.www.16tharkansas.org. Visit our web site.I'am second from right kneelin.Click on roster,then my name Pvt. Azar and read my bio.It is amusing.In Ark. desertion and outright rebellion was the order for many Ark. units.Many men deserted to go home and fight as guerillas to protect their families from the Ghengis Khan bluebellies.The Ark men did not like the fact that for every 20 slaves a slave owner could keep one white man from the ddraft.The union was $300 and you didn't have to go.hmmmmmm rich mans war poor mans fight on both sides.
FYI- I found a blacksmith that made us a Revolutionary War fire grate.We use it at reenactments,and it sparks a lot of conversation.No welds,just a lot of twisting and bends.

I do have union uniform also,since our unit also has to galvanize when we don't have enough blues showing up.What's nic eabout that is the whole regt takes a hit when the rebs fire the first volley.ha. Visti our web site.My bio is amusing. have a nice day

INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default razar

Love the website!! I especially liked the opening photo. It was very authentic...not a tooth amongst y'all! The bio was great.

My regiments' sites are www.saintonge.org and www.sudburyminutemen.org. At the Saintonge site, click on "Gallery", then "Harborfest"; I'm the grenadier on the far right. Of course that was in '99 and I'm the regimental surgeon now. Not only do we portray a French regiment, we're also the 4th Middlesex County (Massachusetts) Regiment, so we fight in two different uniforms, and languages.

This is the logo of the SCMM.Kinda makes you wanna go out and shoot redcoats, eh?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:54 AM

Revwardoc,

Great web site.I can see I would have to take out a bank loan to replicate the uniforms of Rev era.16th Ark was easy dress for.No uniforms except for a few gray coats.Mostly civilian clothes.butternut pants,plaid shirts,any footware you could bring or take from dead Union.Accoutremants were also taken from battlefields.Will visit your web site regularly.

INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Doc.2/47

Great sites guys!Why don't y'all put those links over on the reenactment forum?It'd make them a whole lot easier to find them there rather than buried in a thread.I'd like to check em out in greater detail later and tend to get lost alot.Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

razar,

Yeah, Rev War re-enacting can get expensive if you really get into it. I paid $350 for my Charleville back in '87 and the same model goes for just under $900 now! Those French unis cost a few, too. They have to be hand made and since I'm just a skosh over an XL (ahem), I have to pay a bit extra. The "bear" helmet I wear is kinda pricey, too. And then I became the surgeon which meant an extra outlay for all the instruments of medical destruction, books, a fly, a table, medicine bottles, etc. Its a good thing I love this sh1t.

There's an annual Civil War encampment in Templeton, MA (just west of my town, Gardner) every year. They set up the camps, skirmish for a couple of days, rape, pillage, you know, all the regular fun stuff. If your unit ever comes out this way to get your grey-backed butts whupped, let me know and I'll show you some of the Rev War sites around here.

During the Rev War, militia units also took whatever equipment they could from a beaten enemy. After taking Trenton from the Hessians, the ragtag American army found themselves with a good supply of German-made boots, greatcoats, weapons, etc. Any captured Brit unis were usually dyed blue or at least a darker color, a good way to avoid being on the short end of friendly fire.

That was a problem at the 1st Bull Run wasn't it? Didn't units from both sides wear gray and/or blue?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I think it would be fair to put up a monument to the Canadians who border jumped to the south and joined up during the Vietnam War. Canada got our chicken livered cowards and we got their stalwart brave hearts. Seems like we got the better part of the deal, for sure. Then I reckon this monument should be placed in a proper setting in Spokane so that the good citizens of Nelson can be reminded of what a crummy deal they got every time they come across to shop, visit, etc. Then of course we?d need to boycott the hell out of Nelson just for having really, really terminally stupid ideas.

Scamp
Old 10-05-2004, 03:23 PM

Default VVAW

I was a member of VVAW. Proud to say it. I haven't posted here much recently. But I hope this site isn't restricted to those with politically correct views on the war.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 10-06-2004, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up MK

Ain't nothing here restricted or politically correct. Post more. You still humping that ruck ?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:36 AM

Forums > General > Political Debate > Uncle Sam will soon want your kids!

Refer to Gimpy's thread.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"