The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow Sigh

My family is military.

When heroic stories are told, I listen politely. Spending so much time in the military world, I once identified a non-military person just by the way he walked.

It's sad that people have to lie about who they are.

Joy

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Good posts folks. Sad part is We that are genuine, have to go through hell with the system, and prove where we were, and what we say We did. Damn wannabees!!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formergrunt70 View Post
Good posts folks. Sad part is We that are genuine, have to go through hell with the system, and prove where we were, and what we say We did. Damn wannabees!!
Topp,

Very profound. I have known a number of real vets such as yourself, some with PTSD, but the wannabees clog the VA system and jade others to the point that some do not even believe the real deal guys when they come along. It is sad to me when a real deal veteran, whith real PTSD issues, tells me that they do not want to file a legitimate claim for PTSD because they are afraid that they will be mistakenly thought to be just another wannabee.

And here's the real rub over that. There have been a number of honorable men and women, real vets with real issues over their time in war zones, that have committed suicide over the years because they were unable to cope with their issues without help. But the wannabees cause these real vets to refuse to go to the VA for help for fear of being assiciated with the wannabees. These real veterans with issues then self-medicate with drugs or booze until even that no longer helps. They then believe that suicide is their only answer.

Just one more shame with the whole matter.

Robert
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Absolutely Robert. When I walked in the Psychologist office Yesterday, I was wearing a
Viet Nam veteran cap with the CIB on the front, and Combat infantryman written on the back. So I said first of all I'm not some wannabee "grunt" from the 196th Brigade "straight leg" trying to figure out how to get some thing from The VA. I'm the real
deal, I have the photographs, the book that Danny wrote, news reports, and stories to support who I Am. I can honestly look into the eyes of another Nam vet, and honestly
say: "been there done that too"! I'm out playing golf at the navy base in memphis off, and on. So it is mostly Navy, and Marines there. All branches seem to pick, and choose
who they exchange stories with. I kind of look at as the one's that don't talk much about it, is the one's with the real war stories. I know for a fact 2 of the Marines that I talks to caught pure hell over there, and yet They will only talk mostly to Nam "vets". I think They kind of ran one off the other day from what i gathered . The "guy" had been
drinking a bit, and went on about His encounter with the 82nd during the invasion of Grenada, and it appeared Ole "gunny" 2 tours in Nam just went unglued. I respect anyone that has been in combat, and as I was not there, it sounded as if the liquor was doing the talking. But anyway, I was just the common old "nasty ass" grunt that took a bath once or twice a month, bitched about everything, did get any heroic medals. As far as the purple heart, I was a blessed lucky guy, or I always on the working end of an AK47 that the shooter couldn't a bull in the ass with a sledge hammer. One thing for sure
I saw My share of combat in that "hell hole" and still paying the price. Doc asked Me? So
how many times would You say You were involved in combat? I stated: Only once Doc.
He asked only once? I said yes and it lasted My entire tour over there. After 40 years
in My opinion it is still no real explanation of some of the shit We went through. I still
think one day I will wake up in Memphis as a 19 year old, and look in thedrive way, and still see My 1957 Ford Fairlane. Now! My Brother that is wishful thinking. Nope! My Brother I don't think it is a dream. Just a"freaking nightmare" that You will relive forever.
I guess I don't know how to post a short quick reply. "stay on the high ground"