The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2007, 02:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

10 below this morning! Spring...bah humbug!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve,

It was 10 below here this morning also. 10 below 65!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Had me goin' there...then I read on. LOL
Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Right at 40F here in banana flats this AM. Lookin good so far, but I've been optimistic before and seen huge snow dumps in May. I might put on my meskin cane cutter hat this weekend and go out and scare the crap out of some incipient weeds or maybe just look busy whilst runnin the grill n' checkin out the sun n' all.

Got me a new grill, so have to figure the contraption out. Alas, an "Inconvient truth", I've always used charcoal but switched to a new trick propane grill; I don't know why, and not so much as a clue as to how to run that bugger. :cd:

Challanged Domingo Scamp
Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sea
Unless you are cooking for a long time, i.e. Brisket, 1/2 a hog, etc. You can't tell the difference between Charcoal and Gas. I get a bag of Mesquite chips and throw a handful of them in a small steel pan with just a little beer and set them over the flame.
I like the gas because it's quick. I can go out light it and throw on a steak and in 10 min I'm eating steak.
Don't forget to put them ceramic briquet's things in there, they make a difference. Also, go to Home depot and get some lava rocks and put them in there with the ceramic briquet's.
When you get it put together, fire it up and put a little vegetable oil on the grill and the briquet's, Let it cook for about 10 min. After that, It's ready.
Take a picture of your first big fat steak cooking.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks Ron,
I?ve always done Weber closed charcoal grilling and have that down. Just get the charcoal going, push to each side when ready, then put a drip pan in between the two piles of charcoal, cover and viola, great controlled cooking and no need to call 911.
I am hoping to get to the same point with the gas grill but I can tell it?s going to be a journey to achieve the same level of control.
You mention some things I didn?t know about and I?m sure the items and steps will be very helpful.
Ha ha, I did some beef ribs and all I can say is that I get an ?F? for the first attempt. Something along the lines of ?what hath gawd wrought? came to mind, but didn?t have to call 911, so that?s a plus.

Scamp
Old 03-10-2007, 06:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

We didn't use our grill much last winter so in the spring my wife went to crank it up and cook some steak. She opened the lid and a bunch of mice (what is the term for a quantity of mice?) ran out. They had built themselves a cozy little nest just under the burners. My wife freaked! She said there was no way in hell she was going to cook, much less eat anything cooked, on that grill and told me to go out and get a new one. Of course, being a guy, I said we should just put the flame on high for about half hour and it will burn everything bad out of there. She shot me "The Look" and I was off to find a new grill.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Rev
Wheres the down side?
Kind of like saying to you, You have to go fishing/hunting. Ahhhh Ok. If I have to.

Sea.
Learning to cook with a gas grill just takes some trial and Error,
I guess the best piece of advice I could give is when you first go out there with a chunk of meat, Leave the meat inside for about 5-10 min. Light it, turn on high , close lid, This will burn off/up any small animal that wanted a meal from your leftover BBQ. I don't mean Mice, but Ants, flys, etc. Then when you feel the grill is ready, turn the burner (s) down to a very low heat, Throw the meat on close the lid, In about 5 min. turn the meat and check the heat .
Mine I just leave it on the lowest setting, It cooks a little slower but , I like it like that.

Ron
Old 03-10-2007, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Year 'round BBQ baby!! Cookin' with gas. Sub zero or above..the steak tastes great. A little State Fair speedie sauce and you're eating the best tasting chicken speedies going. Beer and BBQ go well...just cant let the beer sit too long in 0 temp...it gets kinda chunky.

For all you summertime beer drinkers...a little tidbit for cooling off a shelf case of beer. Put a layer of ice on the bottom of a cooler, put a few handfulls of rocksalt on the ice. layer the beer on that, and then layer some more ice and rocksalt. throw a little water on the top. Caution: the beer WILL get cold fast. Warning: The beer WILL freeze! Tried and true method. Rince the beer bottle/can off before you drink it, or you'll taste the salt.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Q
I don't believe I would put salt in a beer cooler, Not real fond of frozen beer. However, The salt works great around a Keg. The Keg wont freeze and gets the beer cold. Colder than just ice.
Just Ice and water in a cooler for beer is good enough for Texas.
And, Sub zero temps? What is that?