The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2002, 03:30 PM

SGT Tropo,

Wouldnt the Crater Maker be considered a weapon a mass destruction?

enough...............
Old 09-17-2002, 07:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

West on brink of Iraq war
by Joe Murphy, Evening Standard

The US and Britain returned to the brink of war today as Saddam Hussein's dramatic promise to allow unfettered weapons inspections turned out to have strings attached.

The disclosure that restrictions were, after all, attached to Saddam's offer was made by the London ambassador of the Arab League which brokered the deal in the first place.

Ali Muhsen Hamid claimed Iraq was being sincere, but he stipulated that civilian sites would not be available to the inspectors. "We support anywhere, any military site (for inspections), but not as some people have suggested for inspections against hospitals, against schools."

Hospitals are among key sites for inspections because of evidence that Saddam uses health laboratories to manufacture viruses for biological weapons.

An Arab League spokesman said only military sites were covered because it would take 10 years for inspectors to examine civilian buildings, which would divert the UN's attention from making Iraq obey its resolutions. "If the US really wants to resolve this dispute it will welcome the offer," he added.

No10 pointed out that during the last, failed, round of inspections, the Iraqi president redesignated about half of his most secret military installations as " presidential palaces", ruling them out of bounds to inspectors.

Iraq capitalised on the disarray to mount a propaganda offensive. Tariq Aziz, Saddam's deputy prime minister, said the offer "thwarted" any reasons for a military attack. He added: "The aim of the American policies is the oil in the Gulf."

The Iraqi state news agency said Saddam may send a personal appeal to the UN within days.

Saddam made his offer in a letter presented to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan late last night after an emergency meeting of his security and diplomatic advisers.

Within minutes, the White House issued a statement scorning the promise as "a tactical step by Iraq in hopes of avoiding strong UN Security Council action".

"As such, it will fail," said spokesman Scott McClellan. "This is not a matter of inspections. It is about disarmament of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and the Iraqi regime's compliance with all other Security Council resolutions."

The concern in Washington is that support for military action will rapidly lose momentum. A State Department official described the offer as " a nightmare stalling technique"

http://www.thisislondon.com/dynamic/...text_id=671535
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "Skunk works" bomb

Sgt. Tropo,

During the Gulf war two skunks works bombs were hurriedly assembled and shipped off for use during the Desert Shield portion of the war. Their target was a deep and hardened ammo supply bunker in southern Iraq. Designed and built by the Germans, this bunker was covered by 200 ft. of sand and 20 ft. of steel reinforced concrete. The first of the skunk works bombs went astray but the second penetrated all the way and the huge bunker went up and the detonation was seen and documented for miles and miles around. As I recall, the bomb carried some 2 ? tons of HE and had a penetrating nose cone similar to a Navy 16 inch A/P shell. I don?t recall what kind of aircraft delivered the skunk works bomb but I assume something like a B 52, maybe smaller, I don?t know.

But I think it can be assumed that the skunk works has the remedy for any bunker system Saddam can burrow into or conceive of. As well I would not at all be surprised to see the bomb you describe used. I think this is the one called the ?Daisy Cutter?.

Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:04 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"BLU-118/B would slice into a tunnel in the Afghan mountains, unleash the chemically engineered hell that she and the rest of the country's top explosives experts had wrought, and America's enemies would die."

This is just a part of an article about the women who developed these "thermobaric bombs"

http://www.sunspot.net/business/bal-...ss%2Dheadlines

also here...
http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/sh...7551#post87551