The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Casualty Database (Viet Nam War), searchresults by down to sep. Co only presented...

Sir's!

Casualty Database (Viet Nam War), searchresults by down to seperate Company only presented...

Well, this took me much longer than planned to get posted...

NARA has a Casualty Database, similar to the perhaps more known "Coffelt Casualty Database". Difference between NARA's and Coffelts databases is that, in NARA's, one can chose to limit searchresults to only 1 single specific company, of a specific Regiments Bn for example. Please see by going to:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-...&tf=F&bc=sb,sl

Then, in its top searchfield, enter unit-designation as for example in the following examples:

C Co 1st Bn 8th Infantry 4th Inf Div

B Co 2nd Bn 35th Infantry 4th Inf Div

C Co 1st Bn 7th Marines 1st Mar Div

Do not put "/" and/or "-" signs in searchfield. Instead, as shown above, use "blankspace". For list of entire Bn, just exclude for example "C Co", and so on, if wanting for even larger unitsize of specific unit.

Please however also see the function "Show More Fields", if wanting to use seperate fields for each unit-level when searching, or by searching by other searchcriteria! Note however that, the site only allows a maximum of 10 seperat such fields presented, per time. But by using this function, more other searchcriteria-options is available aswell!

For how to type seperate different unit-designations and/or their "shortened forms", for USN and USAF units, please just click on "Sample Values" slightly below on the website.

Another difference however, between "NARA" and "Coffelt", may be that there most likely are more "typing errors" in "NARA", than in "Coffelt". For example, 18 listed KIA's of the total of 37 KIA's of D-trp 17th Cavalry Rgt 199th LIB, are listed as being "D Co" instead of "D Trp" in their listing within NARA's database. Thus, if searching by correct designation "Trp", 18 KIA's of this troop does not display by NARA's Casualty database. With this in mind, ther may at times be well to exclude equivilent to company-level, if that unit-level size is designated other than by specifically "Co". The search will still be rather limited, as the larger unit-size, as for example in the above case "199th LIB", still excludes other subordinate units of the 17th Cavalry Regiment as a whole. In other words, no listings should be displayed, by fallen from for example "2nd Squadron / 17th Cavalry Regiment", when making certain also the Bde is within the searchtext. Or in case of being the above examples main unit, "4th Inf Div", if searching for fallen from within the divisions subordinate Cavalry units.

I know it has been quite some time past since I first mentioned this, and I wish to apologize for this. Have now finally at least, "gotten my fingers out of my noose" as far as getting this posted also on this forum. T G C!

Sincerely
A.B
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links