The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Doc.2/47

Default Out of the blue...

Yesterday I spent some time playing with muzzle-loading rifles trying to get them ready for the upcoming season.Early evening I had three that were ready to check for zero so I decided to take them 4-5mi. down the road to a place I could do a little shooting.My 16y/o daughter-Diana-wanted to go along so I let her go along and hold the weapons(one on each side of her and one between her knees with the butts resting on the floorboard).About 3-4mi. down the road-crossing a bridge on the lake-there was a suden high-pitched shriek,a loud "Bang!",and rifles went flying all around the cab of the truck.Diana was convulseing.Her back had bowed tightly forceing her head and shoulders out the open pasenger window,her arms and legs were flailing around against the roof and dash,her eyes were open but unfocused with dialated pupils,and her attempts to breathe sounded like a very sick rooster tryin to crow.I got the truck stopped and her pulled back into the cab at about the same time,and commenced checking her out,trying to see that she could keep breathing(there was a lot of mucus and saliva and a little blood from one nostril)and trying to keep her from hurting herself(not easy as the long rifles were like random jackstraws throughout the cab).After a minute or so she suddenly went absolutely limp.So still.So pale.I couldn't see any breathing.I stuck my finger in her mouth to check for obstructions(none)and she gave a tiny little gasp and then I could feel her chest moveing.I positioned her as best I could under the circumstances,then opened up the four barrel and let the poneys run at best speed to the nearest ER.Only time I've ever done any serious driveing with a 54cal. muzzle crammed in to that soft spot just behind my right ear.Kinda surprised that nobody tried to stop me(wouldn't have) or shot me for an apparent terrorist.

Diana had had an apparent grand mal seizure.She had no history of seizures prior to this so this was totally out of the blue.She recovered well in the ER with no further seizure activity.Testing-includeing drug screen and CT-provided no explaination.She is now scheduled for an EEG,and is doing well at present.I-however-am a basket case.Flashbacks.Big time.During and (to a lesser extent) continueing through present.Now I remember why I had to stop playin around in the medical field.Truly amazeing that I was able to keep it together enough to handle the situation.
Sponsored Links