The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2003, 09:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The World But Few Know...

...I just spent the night with a former POW...

... a former POW from Vietnam...

..He smiled the whole night, he caught my attention when he said, "I haven't seen one of those for a long time, reflecting upon my POW/MIA bracelet...

...I explained that it was a guy from a town close by called Selkirk NY, and that I'd had it for a number of years, he went down on 13 June 66, and his name was LT Col. Charles Burkart, etc...

...He said his name was Alan, and no last name be mentioned now, He started asking me all sorts questions as I was wearing my "psycovets" hat, and he showed me a badge from the "Stratton Va.", etc, and questions lead to questions...

..turns out that Alan was a POW from 1968 thru 1969, and what a conversations flew up...

...walked with a cane, and never stopped smiling as he told me how they pulled his toenails out, not a doubt in my mind that he's the real deal...

...went out to my truck, and got my "psycovets" coffee mug (dirty, and ugh), and had it cleaned quick, and gave it to him...

... a soft tear appeared from his eye as he read it, and he knew it came from the heart...

...he's 52, with greying hair, and the Va. badge confirmed what I had already known, but I'm a confirmer...

...I sit here tonight humbled, we talked about his experiences, and mine, and he told me mine were harder to live with, he'd left his behind...

...Honored beyond belief said I as I walked out the door, he thanked me for my service, and not his, I felt so small for my efforts...

...For he is my friend, that I shall give my all, forever...

..."Welcome home"...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links