The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2003, 10:39 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Did you know Olen W Garrett

My cousin was only 15 when his dad died and Olen was never able to talk about it with him. I just would like to find anybody who might of meet him. I want to tell my cousin more about this time in his dads life so he can understand why his dad was the way he was.

Olen Wayne Garrett, might of went by only Wayne.

He was born in Amarillo,TX May 12,1947. He was in the Army and a gunner on a helicopter. He was in the 129th Avn Co, 208th Avn Bn. He was a SP4. He entered the army in 65 and was discharged in Feb of 71. He served a little over 2 years in Vietnam. He received The Air Medal and a Purple Heart. The paper that I have had a fold in it when they copied it and it doesn't show all of his "decorations." I know he received the Air Medal in March of 68 for the period of Feb 10,1968 to Feb 17,1968.
His Specialty # and title are 11 E 20 Armor Crewman.

I also have a website with some of his pics on it, if you'd like to see them here it is:http://www.geocities.com/melody1181/Memorial.html

Here is one Pic:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Melody -
See, that was easy.

You did a real nice job of this posting, and I am sure it'll get some results for you, given time. A lot of VN combat and other vets will look here. If you don't see much result, try it again on this same forum using something simple about his unit or job for your title of the thread... e.g. "Armor Crewmen", or "129th AVN Co", or even something like "Chopper Gun Crews".

You can also try posting it on the ARMY branch forum, that sometimes helps. I got real good results there and on WW II looking for info about my father.

Some believe that putting a "?" (question mark) avatar next to the title of your thread catches the eye when you first submit new threads, in a case like this.

I'll subscribe to this one, to keep an eye on how things are goin' for ya awhile. Like Reeb said, on your other post, the Woman Patriots thread might bring a result on this deal too.

Don't worry, we'll find out some more about gunner Olen for you and your cousin.

We don't forget people, or leave 'em behind.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Melody :

If you already know or have done this, just ignore me...

Since you have such good service information, I would do some Google searches on "129th Aviation" and / or "129th AVN*" and "208th AVN BN" etc. ...The helicopter guys are well organized and I am sure would be more than happy to help out. They have reunions and I am sure they have a guest book to post your request in. Let us know how it comes out. The veterans on here are scattered across all 5 services, many wars, 50+ years, and a wide range of MOS ( Military Occupational Specialties ), so your best bet are searches for specific units. Hope this helps !!

Take care,

Larry
Old 09-16-2003, 04:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks Larry,
I have been to there website: http://www.129th.net/

None of them seem to have served at the same time with him so I thought it wouldn't hurt a bit to post here