The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Gold Star Mothers Should Be Ashamed

I am dismayed that the American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. has denied membership to a mother whose son died inAfghanistan. Membership was denieddue to the fact that the woman is not a US citizen.

It was reported today that Ligaya Lagman, a Filipino, has been denied membership solely on the basis of her citizenship. Her son, Army Staff Sergeant Anthony Lagman, was KIA last year in Afghanistan. Although she is not a citizen she has lived in the United States for about 20 years.

According to news reports the organization is being inflexible in its rules about the citizenship of the mother. I wonder how many other mothers have been denied membership for this reason. I find it hard to believe that mothers who lost their sons or daughters during World War II, Korea or Vietnam were also denied membership for the same reason. It would seem to me that during those wars there would have been many more parents who were first generation immigrants and not citizens.

For decades the Philippines were a protectorate of the United States. We took advantage of that country during the time they were under our control and after theri independence. We have certainly taken advantage of the military service of their citizens. To deny Mrs. Laman membership to a society that is dedicated to the support of mothers who have lost their children in battle is a travesty.

The Gold Star Mothers should be ashamed.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

American Gold Star Mothers was incorporated in Washington, DC and granted a Federal Charter by the ninety-eighth Congress.

That was in 1929, and in the years since, through times of war and times of peace, this organization of American mothers
has changed, grown, and always been there when needed.

The membership of American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. is composed of American Mothers who lost a son or daughter during World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Beirut, Grenada, Panama, the Persian Gulf, Somalia, Bosnia, Saudi Arabia, all Strategic Areas, or while in service to our country.

The organization was founded nationally shortly after the First World War by Mrs. Grace Darling Seibold, Washington, DC, for the purpose of perpetuating the ideals of Americanism for which their children had so gallantly fought and died.

American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. a federally-chartered organization, is a member of the National Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service Advisory Committee. The 150 chapters of Gold Star Mothers throughout the United States give many hours of work and personal service in hospitals for the veterans, and to the veteran and his family. The organization works closely with and is respected by all veterans organizations. The American Gold Star Mothers, Inc., a non-profit, patriotic organization, receives funds from dues and donations only.

http://www.goldstarmoms.com/

If you don't like the membership rules, contact your congressman.

Joy

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:06 PM

Kinda reminds me of when Vietnam vets weren't allowed to join the VFW or American Legion because Vietnam wasn't a war (sure as hell could have fooled me). By the time I got home the rules had been changed..i.e., the federal charters had been changed. Think that is what is needed here.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I think the fact this womans child died in a time of war, protecting us and our rights is enough to allow this woman this right. That is ridiculous.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:26 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Advisor & Melody...

You're both right.

It is: "Ridiculous".

Also, the conflict places listed seem to coincide with the specific times and areas permitting Veterans to be belong to both The quite chronologically selective American Legion and VFW, and to which many years (about 50/50) exclude belonging.

AMVETS aren't so foolishly selective and biased as The Legion, VFW and now apparently as also The Gold Star Mothers are. AMVETS respect all Honorable Veterans whom Served,...WHENEVER.

Oh, and by the way, The U.S. Congress doesn't make Charters for ANY ORGANIZATIONS,...either Veteran or Civilian.
Only Organizations make up their Charters,...and The Congress just OK's them (or not). That's simply how some organizations usually pass-the-buck, when not being able to excuse the silly and absurd (usually kept secret from The Public).
That's all.

Neil
Old 05-27-2005, 09:38 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Quote:
The organization was founded nationally shortly after the First World War by Mrs. Grace Darling Seibold, Washington, DC, for the purpose of perpetuating the ideals of Americanism for which their children had so gallantly fought and died.

The woman gained her citizenship when she lost her son. What more can a woman give to a country than the life blood of her boy? The Gold Star Mothers need to get their head out of their traditions and offer some comfort to a Sister.She did such a good job perpetuating the ideals of Ameicanism herboy got up from her table and laid his life down for them.

It's past time to rewrite their charter.

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."