The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2004, 10:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Hurricane "CHARLEY"

Condolences and Best Wishes from all for all Floridians stricken being a given aside, one couldn't but help pondering the words of a U.S. Senator(?) or Congressman(?) on nationwide TV this morning.

While sadly discussing the overall devastation, and especially regarding Trailer Parks (and there are MANY in Florida), the lifelong resident (now Government Official and/or Lawmaker) said words to the effect that: "UN-STRAPPED (re. without strong securing cables) trailers would most assuredly be toppled at minimum or totally destroyed, if in the path of a Level 4 or 5 (the maximum level) hurricane".

Yeah, that right friends. People in: "UN-STRAPPED" trailers don't-stand-a-chance-in-hell against a strong hurricane, in what's euphomistically referred to as: "Hurricane Alley",...or anywhere else for that matter.

So then, and since many of Florida's Condo and/or Trailer Park Associations apparently have an obsession or fixation with placing many mandatory, cockamamie or absurd resrictions on their residents ANYWAY,...why not also mandate that at least one of such be DIFFERENTLY sensible and both property and LIFE SAVING??

Even fools must realize that mandatory: "STRAPPING" of all trailers in Florida is infinitely more important than the absurdity of restricting the use of screen doors on condos or trailers, or even more absurdly whether or not The American Flag can be flown at any complex (Trailer Parks inclusive),...as many such associations dictate that all residents adhere to?

Plus, all Local, State and Federal Officials concerned for the safety and well-being of Floridians WISELY INSISTING that: "STRAPPING" of all trailers in Florida be done as soon as physically possible,...most certainly couldn't hurt EITHER or ALSO!!

Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Robert J Ryan

Yeah seen the news footage from the storm, looks like a war zone in some places, hope all those people are allright. Prayers for them.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Neil,

Here in Okaloosa County (NW Florida)

1. The law requires mobile homes to be strapped.

2. With any tropical cyclone of hurricane strength (cat 1 or higher), evacuation is mandatory.

In Cat 2 or higher hurricanes, mobile homes start coming apart, strapped or not. What you end up with, in most cases, is straps anchoring down piles of rubble.

The straps serve a useful purpose in that they keep the larger pieces of the rubble from becoming airborne missiles.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 08-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Rigger...

Guess the problem isn't as easily solved as I figured? Still, you must admit that You People in Okaloosa County are at least at little ahead of things in Florida, regarding such normally occuring, guaranteed yearly happenings and/or devastating hurricanes.

Maybe, and since Water Tables are so shallow in Florida and therefore foxhole-like protections for trailers are out of the question,...building up fairly high individual trailer levies or protective mounds against high winds, might do the trick?

If super-duper winds can't get under or at the structures and/or trailers,...hey, who knows? Tornados or Twisters? Well, that's a different story. Those suckers could probably suck-up-a-trailer,...even if secured from the storm down in a well?

Neil
Old 08-14-2004, 03:45 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My cousin had half of his roof ripped off. Forget where they are at exactly but they themselfs were not there. His home was very expensive and faired no better than the other homes.

Very scary stuff.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Neil,

A berm or levee could offer protection from the winds.

1. It would have to be the same height or higher than the mobile home.

2. It would have to surround the mobile home or mobile home park.

My concerns with this solution would be:

1. Would the air flow over the top of the berm create low pressure (suction) as it does flowing over the top of an airplane wing?

2. A hurricane dumps as much as 30 to 40 inches total rainfall on a given area. Would such a levee not constitute a swimming pool waiting to be filled?

3. How cost effective is it?

Most practical solution seems to be mandatory evacuation.

We get some people that REFUSE to evacuate. They see the evacuation order as a violation of their rights...kinda like the folks that refuse to wear motorcycle helments.

"NOBODY can make me...." etc ect.

It's sad if there are children living there.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 08-15-2004, 06:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The best solution

Quote:
Originally posted by 82Rigger Neil,

Here in Okaloosa County (NW Florida)

1. The law requires mobile homes to be strapped.

2. With any tropical cyclone of hurricane strength (cat 1 or higher), evacuation is mandatory.

In Cat 2 or higher hurricanes, mobile homes start coming apart, strapped or not. What you end up with, in most cases, is straps anchoring down piles of rubble.

The straps serve a useful purpose in that they keep the larger pieces of the rubble from becoming airborne missiles.
Steve
How come you guys don't make your house trailers out of cinder block?? seems to me like the added weight would be worth it if it didn't blow away every year. If I lived in FL with a trailer, I would but I'm not sure I'd want to live in FL in a trailer.
Just a thought

James
Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 
Default Winter Haven Polk county

we got hit hard.. I still don't have power.. My brother just got it back.. Its alful.. but at least we are aliv and still have a place to live..
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 08-16-2004, 01:41 PM

Our company builds precast concrete storm shelters for mobile parks. They are 12' wide x 7' high. They have a 9" thick reinforced concrete roof and 8" thick reinforced walls. They are designed for tornado protection, In other words, mostly high winds and wind driven debris protection. Unfortunately they offer no protection from the storm surge or and kind of high water. But maybe there is a way to build one that is. But as with most things like this, the cost would be prohibitive.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 
Default hurricane

we need to be blessed we are still aliv and able to post here with our friends
Love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten