The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2002, 08:42 AM

Question What's Up Down Under?

Wazza, an article in the Chicago Tribune this morning stated that some farmers and ranchers in Australia are suing the government for costs they incurred for feeding - albeit unwittingly - the thousands of kangaroos that stripped their fields of all vegetation, which has created a hardship for them and may cause farm/ranch failures.

The problem is worsening since the roo has been declared an endangered species? (It's somehow refreshing to know that the USA is not the only refuge for idiot environmentalists.)

I also noted on the 'Net this morning that the emus are causing a similar problem. (Are they also endangered?)

How bad is the drought that's blamed for this situation? How widely does the drought extend, for how long has it existed, and are you in an area that is also in a drought?

Jeff
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2002, 05:39 PM

Jeff
I live in the suburbs of Sydney about 15 miles from CBD. Now that's a leafy suburb not dense high rise or anything. Kangaroo are nice but they do eat a lotta crops. There are more 'roos here now than there were in 1770 because there's more crops to eat. Some people can't understand that. They have to be culled. Emu's do a lotta damage to fences and crops too. They can't jump the fences like the roos they go through 'em like a tank or APC.

Suing is probably a term to get more Govt. aid

The drought is terrible, worst in 100 years. all tied up with El-nino. We had a dust storm last week 1200 miles wide 100 million tons of topsoil gone.

Drought is Oz wide. Water restriction in Melbourne last week and Sydney very soon. The grass around my house is almost dead. Not that I water it anyway. Our national wheat crop is expected to be half what is normally is. That hits GDP and I'm sorry to say the US subsidies to your farmers never help us. Blow the bottom right out of the market.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info, Wazza. I guess I must live in a secluded cave, because I hadn't heard of the problems Australia faces due to this El Ni?o. The truth be known, I didn't know Australia was affected by El Ni?os. Or if I knew it didn't stick in my memory banks. (I really must get out more often... )

Our subsidies to our farmers don't help us, either. But that's a whole other subject.

///////////////////////////////////////////
Will Rogers didn't know Bill Clinton
///////////////////////////////////////////

Jeff
Old 11-01-2002, 09:37 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Great line...JeffL.

Plus, and a devastating drought aside, I never heard or read such an honest, informative and profound quip like: "Will Rogers never knew Bill Clinton"...in my life. Where-the-hell did you find it?

STILL, it is truly sad for America that so many other self/clique-serving phonies and zealots here could so easily replace His Slickness in The Quip,...and "It" STILL would come-out as a totally honest observation and warranted dig of lordly politicos.

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cake4a.jpg (6.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-01-2002, 01:12 PM

Thumbs up "Will Rogers didn't know Bill Clinton"

Thanks, Neil! In the summer of 1999, I stopped at a traffic light to the left of a woman who had this bumper sticker on her back window. It was hot, and I had the A/C on, but I immediately honked, leaned over, and rolled down the window and cheered her stance! And she rolled down her window and gave me a big thumbs up! She said that she'd received many compliments on the sticker. It has become became one of my favorites, and I've used it ever since that day.

Six simple words - what can I say? (I've always supported the KISS approach - "Keep It Simple, Stupid.")

One of my favorite quotes from the Slimster during his years as co-president: "Perjury in a civil matter is not as important as perjury in a criminal matter."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Never use a big word when a diminutive one will do.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jeff
Old 11-02-2002, 03:16 AM

Jeff,

It's unfortunate that there is so much American History for the young people of America to learn, and Americans generally because, I'm sad to say, that our neck of the woods ins't widely understood by many people Stateside unless they have met an Aussie or been to our shores. The other sad thing is that it always seems to take a war for our men & women to meet.

I have trouble sometime understanding the inuendo in so comments eg Will Rogers and Bill Clinton someone needs to explain it to me. We have got time! haven't we?

Yep everything that happens in the Pacific Ocean affects us. You know the french were doing nuclear tests out there much to our disgust. Couldn't do it underground in france - might kill the truffles.

By the way - you know your government did nuclear testuing in New Mexico. I don't think I'd like to live there. What's wrong with Il. Boats is happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in_country.jpg (118.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-02-2002, 03:41 AM

Default have trouble sometime understanding the inuendo in so comments eg Will Rogers and Bi

Hi Wazza,got up early so I thought I'd butt in.Thequote refers to a well known (In USA) comment by Rogers....

"I never met a man I didn't like"

Mae West, asultry movie star used it often too. You may have heard some of West's sayings that are still pouplar today.

Example...She would walk up to some guy, stare at his crotch and purr the words "Hello handsome, is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ?"

ken

Old 11-02-2002, 03:54 AM

Default Thought the photo matched the thread

Was Will Rogers a cowboy or was that Tom Mix????

Re photo: What's up down under
Old 11-02-2002, 04:02 AM

Great pix...

He was a real cowboy turned commentator/movie starand in the 30's was as well knownas the then current president. I think he was the first to make fun of politics. He had a wry humor that would point out the BS of politicians.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:15 AM

Here's a link to info about him.

http://www.willrogers.org/

ken