Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2004, 05:50 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Leave it to the swabbies!

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article222041.ece

NORWEGIAN COAST:

Dolphin hunt for disappeared sub

Specially trained dolphins are looking for an unmanned American submarine which went missing outside Kristiansand in southern Norway last week.

Foto: TV 2
The American Minesweeper USS Swift was Tuesday afternoon looking for an American submarine outside Kristiansand, reported TV 2 Nyhetene.

An intense search for the unmanned submarine is being conducted with the assistance of specially trained dolphins.

The submarine is apparently very similar to the Norwegian AUV boat. The Americans lost control over the submarine Thursday of last week, and the craft is allegedly so unique that the Americans wish to keep it a secret.

USS Swift, which has the operative responsibility of the submarine, cancelled the training mission ?Blue Game? in order to continue the search for the craft.

A coast guard vessel from the Norwegian navy participated in the search for the submarine this weekend.

?We are available if the Americans want further assistance in the search,? said Captain Thom Knustad from the Norwegian Royal Navy.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

At least it didn't crash and kill people!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:20 AM

Let no man go where a good fish can - that's a good motto!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default S-Hawk

Just to show you that life in the AF is not all fun and games...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dd_germany_usa
U.S. Air Force worried about its German bunkers

Fri May 7,11:14 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - The U.S. Air Force needs to fix its bunkers at the Spangdahlem base in Germany -- because they are not up to U.S. Golf Association standards.

The base in the Eifel mountains, home to the air force's 53rd fighter squadron, boasts a nine-hole golf course for its 12,000 staff and their dependents. But work to expand the air field has left the course in a sorry state, a spokeswoman said. "It's not up to par," she said. A tender published by the air force this week asks for the course to be upgraded by May 31 so it can be "rated for handicap purposes". "Contractors must be certified to renovate golf course bunkers," it said.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What is the military coming to when you can't even play a decent round of golf?!

Old 05-07-2004, 12:45 PM

Geez, ya got me with this one. I thought it was about the ammo bunkers where we pulled guard duty.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:37 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default The morning after another Navy Tailhook Convention!

Old 05-09-2004, 07:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default WOW Fellas...

We Americans most certainly know how to keep a secret?

Neil :cd: :cd: :cd:
Old 05-09-2004, 02:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Re: The morning after another Navy Tailhook Convention!

Quote:
Originally posted by revwardoc
You'll notice he's an Officer. Or at lease the bullshit photoshop picture shows a zero. The mentally of being a collage boy out partying on the town never left some of them. Tail hook was blown out of proportion. It's a shame some of the whores there complained more than some of the wives involved.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 05-11-2004, 06:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Runaway U.S. mini-sub found on Norwegian beach
Tuesday, May 11, 2004 Posted: 4:05 PM EDT (2005 GMT)

OSLO, Norway (AP) -- A missing unmanned submarine that eluded the U.S. Navy for a week was found Tuesday by a man strolling along a beach in western Norway.

The 3.5 meter (11-foot) mini-sub, or Battlespace Preparation Autonomous Underwater Vehicle, disappeared April 29 during tests off the port of Kristiansand in southern Norway.

"On Monday, the crew of its mother ship, the minesweeper USS Swift, said that they considered it lost for good," said Cmdr. Thom Knustad, a spokesman for the Norwegian joint command.

The submarine is not remote controlled, but preprogramed before its launch to search for mines and, if necessary, destroy them.

However, it never surfaced, leading the Swift to break off its participation in a military exercise and spend a week searching for it.

The mini-sub turned up about 200 kilometers (125 miles) to the north.

A man going for walk along the coast near Stavanger, on Norway's west coast, spotted a small, torpedo-like object marked "Department of Navy" grounded just off the beach and called the police.

"A police officer went to the scene, found the submarine and pulled it into land," Arvid Jensen, of the Stavanger police, told Norwegian news agency NTB.

Norwegians had been asked to be on the lookout for the mini-sub, since the U.S. Navy said it could surface anywhere.

Knustad said by telephone that a small Norwegian Navy boat was immediately dispatched to the scene to recover the submarine so it could be returned to the Americans.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html