The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 AM

Default True Meaning Of Veterans Day

I've been reading some of the messages that's been posted about Veterans Day and with all due respect to Vietnam Veterans, Veterans Day was set aside to honor "all" living veterans who served in the Military in wartime and peacetime.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No $hit......So whats your point
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Hey 3196.....That kind of talk is uncalled for. Don't be posting any messages on the pages I open if you going to have an attitude like that.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 11-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default W-Hole...

Since not hearing of anyone excluding Korean, Cold War (am one) or even Afghan or Iraq type Veterans being honored on Veterans Day, let me more nicey-nicey ask...what point you were trying to make by your question? I don't fully understand either,...or could it just be that only The Vietnam Vets are more vocal than most others?

Neil
Old 11-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

WH
We're waiting for an explaination regarding your post....and as long as you're posting......I'm replying, thats why its called a "Forum" incase you forgot
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-12-2006, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Please point out the messages your refering to

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 11-12-2006, 02:49 PM

3196 and reconeil.....My original message for this page is self explaintory. Both combat and non combat prior military personells are honored on Veterans day. My message is "not" and I'll repeat "not" in any way intended to be offensive to any Vietnam Veteran. If any Vietnam Veteran is/was offended by what I said, than I deeply apologize.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Nov 11th was originally Armistice Day declared after the end of WW1 then a few short years a gentleman ,Alvin King, from Kansas lost his stepson, John Cooper, whom he had raised, was killed in action in Belgium during World War II while serving with Rifle Company B, 137th Infantry Regiment in WW2 .Mr King and the VFW contacted their congressman Representative Ed Rees of Emporia,KS and Whereas on June 1, 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was raised in Kansas, signed into law the Act proclaiming November 11 as Veterans Day (Public Law 380 of the 83rd Congress);They Declared the Old Armistice Day to become Veterans Day to Honor ALL Veterans of all services and duty from the remaining WBTS Veterans to the WW2 Veterans. Today Veterans Day encompasses all who served Bless our Veterans for they answered the call that made this country great.

from the web:VETERANS DAY
(November 11)

In 1918, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day in the eleventh month, the world rejoiced and celebrated. After four years of bitter war, the Allied powers a signed a cease-fire agreement (an armistice) with Germany at Rethondes, France on November 11, 1918, bringing World War I to a close. The "war to end all wars" was over.

November 11, 1919 was set aside as Armistice Day in the United States, to remember the sacrifices that men and women made during World War I in order to ensure a lasting peace. On Armistice Day, soldiers who survived the war marched in a parade through their home towns. Politicians and veteran officers gave speeches and held ceremonies of thanks for the peace they had won.

Armistice Day officially received its name in the United States in 1926 through a Congressional resolution. It became a national holiday 12 years later. Congress voted Armistice Day a federal holiday in 1938, 20 years after the war ended. But Americans realized that the previous war would not be the last one. World War II began the following year and nations great and small again participated in a bloody struggle. After the Second World War, Armistice Day continued to be observed on November 11.

In 1953, townspeople in Emporia, Kansas called the holiday Veterans Day in gratitude to the veterans in their town. Soon after, Congress passed a bill introduced by a Kansas congressman renaming the federal holiday to Veterans Day. Beginning in 1954, the United States designated November 11 as Veterans Day to honor veterans of all U.S. wars. 1971 President Nixon declared it a federal holiday on the second Monday in November.

Americans still give thanks for peace on Veterans Day. There are ceremonies and speeches and at 11:00 in the morning, most Americans observe a moment of silence, remembering those who fought for peace.

After the United States' involvement in the Vietnam War, the emphasis on holiday activities has shifted. There are fewer military parades and ceremonies. Veterans gather at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. to place gifts and stand quiet vigil at the names of their friends and relatives who fell in the Vietnam War. Families who have lost sons and daughters in wars turn their thoughts more toward peace and the avoidance of future wars.

Veterans of military service have organized support groups such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. On Veterans Day and Memorial Day, these groups raise funds for their charitable activities by selling paper poppies made by disabled veterans. This bright red wildflower became a symbol of World War I after a bloody battle in a field of poppies called Flanders Field in Belgium.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Farnie Please point out the messages your refering to
I'm waiting

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 11-12-2006, 03:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

WH
Im still trying to figure out why you singled out Vietnam vets. and emphasized "all"
Bob K

God bless the ACLU