Old 05-08-2003, 09:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Burned Iraqi girl brought to U.S. for treatment

Burned Iraqi girl brought to U.S. for treatment

Copyright ? 2003 AP Online
This story was published Thursday, May 8th, 2003

The Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - A 15-year-old Iraqi girl who was severely burned during coalition bombing was brought to the United States for treatment in an effort that started with a train conductor who saw her on television.

Hannan Shihab, who arrived in Michigan on Tuesday, is believed to be the first Iraqi child injured during the war to receive care at a U.S. hospital, according to the University of Michigan and the office of a congressman who helped get her here.

She was listed in stable condition after she was examined Wednesday at the university hospitals' burn center, said Dr. Paul Taheri, the center's division chief.

Hannan was injured after a kerosene lamp near her bed overturned during a bombing raid in March.

Second- and third-degree burns cover 20 percent of the girl's body, including her face, hands, chest and legs, Taheri said. He said she will have to undergo numerous surgeries over about six weeks, plus months of rehabilitation.

Journalists from Britain's Independent Television News found her April 14, swathed in dirty bandages and sobbing in pain outside the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad. They took her to one of the city's few functioning hospitals.

"ITN is not an aid organization, but we had to help her," said ITN's Tim Rogers, who accompanied Hannan to Detroit. "We took her fresh bandages and ointment, but there was nothing more we could do."

Among those seeing the ITN story relayed on CNN was the 54-year-old train conductor, James Thornberry.

"I kind of put myself in their place," Thornberry said. "How would I feel if my daughters had suffered those kinds of horrific injuries and I couldn't secure the help for them that they needed?"

He called the burn center and within hours, it agreed to treat her for free, he said.

"Once the University of Michigan said yes, I knew it was something that was supposed to happen and the other obstacles would be overcome," he said.

Through ITN and CNN, he located the girl and her family.

Rep. Mike Rogers spoke to the Defense Department and immigration officials and got her on military flights from Iraq to Germany. And Northwest Airlines donated two first-class, round-trip tickets to take the girl and her mother from Germany to Detroit.

Tim Rogers sat next to the girl on the plane. She knows some English but could not talk much because her lips are bloated from the burns, he said.

"She says thank you with her eyes," he said.

Said Thornberry, a father of four: "I am very saddened that you can't conduct a war without innocent people getting hurt. I guess this is my way of doing something."
Old 05-08-2003, 03:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

well, here is a story of someone not sitting around saying I wish something could be done and started the Ball rolling and got it started. a Big Thumbs Up to Mr. Thornberry for being that Someone.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Not the first story about our military helping injured civilians.

There was one last Sunday in the local paper about a soldier who saw a 3 year old girl with a bandage over one eye. He asked and was told that during shelling a window broke and glass got into the girls eye. The local doctor told the family that the girl would be blind in that eye.

The soldier, with the family's permission, took her to the US military doctors who sent her to Kawait where she was treated.

She will not be blind in that eye.

An amazing way to fight a war. Wish more people knew.

I would have posted the story but didn't want to type the whole thing and couldn't find Knight-Ridder online.