Thread: Article 15
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 01:19 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default My 15

In the fall of 1967 our company, maybe the entire battalion, spent 56 days in the Hobo Woods. We were guarding Rome Plows who were knocking down the jungle, going out on patrol and sending out day and night ambushes all the time. Charles didn?t seem to like our knocking down his sanctuary. The fighting was not nearly as intense as Tet but snipers, mortars and the occasional attack on a single platoon were common.

During that stay in the Hobo?s some fool decided I should be a sergeant and the paperwork went through. I was 19 and had not been in the army for a full year. The men on my APC and I went through quite a bit in the Hobo?s, we learned to count on each other.

In mid December we returned to Cu Chi base camp. As many of you may remember a 24 year old private could not buy hard liquor but a 19 year old sergeant could. I bought several bottles of the hard stuff. After our weapons, vehicle and we ourselves were clean (and in that order) and after evening chow we cracked open the bottles.

Near dusk our first sergeant came waltzing into second squad?s hooch, as usual he was swinging from a can of Black Label. He called me to attention and then told me I was now in NCO. Told him I knew that. He then said, ?NCO?s don?t drink with enlisted scum?. As the word scum was still leaving his mouth I put all of my 185 pounds behind a right hand to his head. Knocked him out. Later that night our liquor was confiscated and I was told I was under house arrest pending an investigation.

Next day our CO offered me an Article 15 or I could ask for a trial. I was 19, I was stupid and I could not write home and say I was going to have a courts marshal. I had been under the influence and I did strike an senior NCO. Took the Article 15, two weeks loss of pay and demotion back to Spec. 4.

Two days later, back in the field the Old Man told me I was an ?acting? E-5. I have never regretted that punch. However it did follow me. Spent many months as an ?acting? E-6. Some people don?t take kindly to punching superiors.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: When a cherry came to the unit, someone always told him about my encounter with Top. Never had any problems when asking guys to do anything.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote