View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Default The Poetry Was Published in the Stars and Stripes

I arrived in U-Tapao Royal Thai AFB in July 1971. At some point there after, I read about Michael O' Donnell in the Stars and Stripes, where apparently all his writtings were published.

I was impressed so much, that on a 12 hour night shift, I hand typed each one to keep in a theme book for future days. They along with another poem I found were the inspiration for poetry I wrote during my 2 tours in Thailand.

Yes I was a REMF, doing Satellite Communications with the Army, something I ended up doing for 35 years. July 1971- Sept. 1973 and Sept. 1974 - April 1976. I was TDY to Vietnam in Aug 72. I was in Nakhon Phanom for the false peace of 73 and in Ramasun for the tragic peace of April 1975. I was nearly assualted in the crowds around the American Embassy in Bangkok when the Mayaguez (poor spelling) was taken by the Cambodians. I have since met the Sergeant in charge when the ship was boarded by U.S. Marines.

I have transcribed these into computer files. I have toyed with self publishing the Major's poetry with mine, but have not so far.

I had no idea he was MIA, the article said KIA.

Welome Home my brother...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote