View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve
Ideally, you put your trip flare wires out, say across a trail, and then used the Claymores to cover that area. The trip flare went off, KABOOM!!!! Then you go pick up what was left in front of the Claymore with a flat stick.
I heard of some people using glows-in-the-dark tape on the back but that seemed kind of foolish to me--easier to spot and I think whoever was clever and bold enough to creep up and turn a Claymore around would be clever enough to put the tape on the other side. In the lrrps, we'd keep the wire wound up on a 10" or so board or stick so we could unwind it easy and fast, in case you were being chased.
I don't remember doing anything special otherwise. Of course you'd cammo it as much as possible. A lot of times they were put out at night by tired men so you'd just hope for the best. when the Claymore goes off, you want to be as flat to the ground as possible in ANY case--Ask me how I know this.
I never saw anyone do it with batttery, batteries woud go bad but the claymore clickers always worked and--believe me!--- when a claymore goes off, yr not worried about the clicker noise!
hate to say it but I broke apart a lot more Claymores for C4 to heat food and coffee than I actually fired---sure hope this wasn't what lost the war.